BootsnAll Travel Network



Bucharest,Night-train and Pecs

The next day in Bucharest, we went to the Museum of the Romanian Peasant.  We must have run across a special market connected to the museum because there were many people there and lots of “peasant” art to buy.  The museum itself was really nice.  At one point, in the info brochure, it recommended us to just walk around and see it.  This gave us an overall impression of peasant life without interruption by gobs of info reading.  It was done well.

After the museum, we hung out at a coffee/lunch place to give our feet a rest from yesterdays walking.  Later, we hung out at the hostel.

The next day, we were planning on going to a local Jewish museum but we side-tracked by the post office.  It took us over 2 hours to mail stuff home.  This wasn´t abnormal because everyone there, waiting to mail stuff for the Christmas season, took just as long and their attitude seemed as if this was a normal occurrance at the place.  It was like stepping back in time…in triplicate…not kidding!

The night train experience was nice.  There were six beds to a “room” and we were on the top bunks.  We slept pretty comfortably.  We got off at the wrong stop.  We were one stop early.  When we realized it, the train was just pulling away.  Oh well…we took Budapest´s metro to the correct station and caught another train to Pecs.

We made it to Pecs (pronounced somewhat like “paych”).  There was a nice big church there and some ruins and a steep hill to look down on the city from.  Nice place.  We ate at a place called Tex-Mex.  It was a little like eating back in a Minneapolis mexican restaurant.  It was different but good.  The rest of the evening, we hung out in our room.  We think the water here was disagreeable to us (or at least something was).  That´s all I´ll say about it.

Next day is where we are now…Vienna.  We are about to go out and eat.

Write more later,

Dan



Tags: ,

0 responses to “Bucharest,Night-train and Pecs”

  1. Joy Robbins says:

    Hi Tim and Dan – I just finished reading all the Blog from Europe, and WOW! it seems you are having many fantastic experiences along with a few weird ones. Dan, you are courageous for trying haggis! I really enjoyed reading about your quick visit with Flo, especially those smoothies made with a blender from the Shakopee Kohl’s store!
    Your account of the night walk in the fog with the dogs barking and the silent, cigarette- smoking spectators was TOO real! I would have been running back the other direction toward the restaurant! I enjoyed all the descriptions of quality (or lack of) and modes of travel! You two ought to write a book! You could call it The Purposeful Tourists and Their Accidental Adventures. I’d love to hear more of the one-passenger train cars in Wales, and I hope those hills were as green in the fall as they are inthe summertime! I’m sure you found many Welsh bar-goers willing to teach you “When You Come Home Again to Wales!”
    We miss you a lot, especially as we prepare our Advent and Christmas music, but we are all glad you are having such a wonderful set of adventures! We had a most lovely and 100% touching opportunity to sing for a Christmas Remembrance Service at Ballard-Sunder Funeral Home in Shakopee last Sunday evening, where Jean Breeggemann now works as a funeral coordinator. The choir chose this experience over singing at the ecomenical Thanksgiving Service, and we have already been invited back for 2007! Nine singers are preparing to sing backup for the Kenny Loggins Christmas Show at Mystic Lake on Dec. 17, and I think they are going to have a great experience. The practices for this event are going well, even though we are practicing from CDs and lyrics sheets with no musical notation–this is ‘real’ backup singing–no whole songs, just some parts in repetition–but actually really fun to do! I don’t know when our choir party wil be – I have to call Gus today at Dangerfields and will try for after church on Saturday, January 6. I don’t know when your date of return is, but know we are thinking of you all the time. I can imagine the post-trip ‘slide show’ party will take a whole day or more! Time enough to sample all those different kinds of beer!
    Love you both!
    Joy (and the Choir)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *