BootsnAll Travel Network



39 Miles from Louisville

Yes, we are 39 miles from Louisville as I begin this blog entry.

Now, where did we leave off? Last blog entry, we were in Indianapolis and it was afternoon. Later that evening, we met up with Dave at his apartment complex. We went out for dinner at a place called Bourbon Street. Dave explained that this place has undergone several makeovers since it is in an out-of-the-way place. It is a corner building on the eastern side of the city on Indiana Ave. It seems to have only off-street parking. It has good food. I (Dan) had a Reuben with fries. Tim had an oyster po-boy with fries. Dave had a nacho plate. We all had iced tea to drink. I normally hate iced tea but it sounded good because we sat outside on the ground floor and had southwest exposure to a very bright sun with almost no shade. Bourbon Street had inside bar seating and an upper floor with outdoor seating as well as indoor seating. I didn’t go up to look to see the “ambience” of the place but I’m sure it had a New Orleans “feel” to it. When we first sat down, there wasn’t anyone outside with us and only a few inside. The second story outdoor seating was loaded. As we ate, the place became jammed with people. This place may have had makeovers, but the current incarnation seems to be a “hit”.

After dinner, we went for a walk along the canal. This was very pretty. There were flowers, artwork, waterfalls, trees, a lot of people, ducks that teased Jake until he barked at them and wanted to dive into the canal to teach them a lesson. This was a long walk. A lot of it was in the shade but we were still hot (and I was sunburned-what a surprise given my ghostlike skin which fries first and then tans later. Tim had a sunburned nose but 3 days later it is gone and not even peeling. unfair). We were all tired afterwards. We went back to Justin and Jennifer’s place and hung out ‘til bedtime. A big thanks to Justin and Jennifer for letting us camp out in their backyard. Also, a big thanks to Dave for hosting us about Indianapolis. He had a big job since he had to have “dog friendly” places for Jake.

Next day, we drove south. We ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at Cascades Park where the bumblebees were hovering “still-in-the-air” near us. It was strange. It must have been mating season for them since they would wait for another bumblebee to “meet” them in the air and then they would fly off together to be back separately after at short time. After that, we drove through campus in Bloomington, Indiana. It was a very pretty campus to drive through…and very busy. There were a lot of students.

We eventually camped at a site on Hardin Ridge in Hoosier National Forest, a beautiful place. Almost as soon as we set up the tent, It began to rain…hard. We went into the tent. It continued to rain. Tim left the tent to set up a rain fly so we could make dinner and such. It continued to rain. By the time Tim was done (it didn’t take that long), he was soaked. Dinner, dishes washed after dinner, doggy fed; the rain eventually stopped. We went for a hike. It was pleasant but wet. We came back to sit outside a bit and set a fire and found our fire pit was about 4 inches deep with water. Tim set the fire on a grate “over” the fire pit. Eventually we went to bed after reading a bit. We woke up to an overcast day. After pancakes, we went for a hike. We had hiked to an outdoor amphitheater yesterday and had seen some trails leading from it but didn’t use them. Today, we did. Two of them went to Lake Monroe (kind of the “back end” of the lake). Some of the first trail was washed out or “being used” by a “new” stream. We had to go around these areas but that wasn’t very hard. We eventually got to the lake. It was over its banks-very high. The second trail was a way back to almost where we entered the first trail…like a big “U”. We hiked to the main part of Lake Monroe where a beach was. It was covered by lots of water. We made our way back to our campsite. We then went on a road trip that eventually led to T.C. Steele’s house (a historic site with extensive grounds). He was a major landscape painter. His house was on the top of a big hill. It has many trees, flowers, stone walkways, buildings with artwork, an old log home in back, wisteria (stunning flowers). We got a tour while Jake waited (and barked) in the truck. We headed back to home on a very curvy road. It took awhile. We had dinner, set up a fire in a 2 inch deep pond in our fire pit by stacking fire logs high. Eventually we went to bed.

We woke to a sunny day. We got ready. We set down the tent and left. We are on the road now; and we just crossed the Kentucky River as I end this blog.

That’s it for now.

Write to you all later, Dan



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *