BootsnAll Travel Network



Christian Day

Today was what Curtis called our “Christian day” of class, where we learned all about Christians (and some other religions) in the region. We started out class today by going to Bethany Across-the-Jordan, where John the Baptist is said to have baptised Jesus in the River Jordan. The Israelis, not unexpectadly, also claim this site on their territory, but the Pope officially announced that Bethany was where the baptism happened and thus the issue has been recently less contested.
After that we drove to Mount Nebo, from where Moses is supposed to have seen the Promise Land, although he himself was never to go there. Moses is also said to be buried somewhere around this area but his tomb has never been found. Here is a picture of a cross at Mt. Nebo.

cross

From Mt. Nebo, on a clear day, many of the places on this sign can be seen, although it was far to hazy to see beyond the mountains of Palestine.

f

We also went to St. George’s Church in Madaba where remains of the largest mosaic map in the world are on display. The mosaic still makes up part of the floor of the church is astonishingly accurate and elaborate.



Tags: ,

One response to “Christian Day”

  1. Madaba one of my favorite archeological places in Jordan
    you should have seen Ajloun Castle in Ajloun..
    you should have visited RUM valley in the desert and camp there as well
    you missed alot 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *