BootsnAll Travel Network



Al Baqa’a

A few weeks ago, we visited al Baqa’a Palestinian Reguee Camp as a class, located on the outskirts of Amman. The experience is difficult to write about because it was both so moving and so disturbing. Children begged in the streets and yet the people we met were still exceedingly kind and invited us into their homes. We saw a family with 16 children, 2 of which were blind and one handicapped, living in one room. We saw a woman and her children without running water or electricty, proud of her tiny TV that ran off of a car battery. Children were everywhere, ragged and barefoot but with smiles on their faces. I would guess that the fertility rate is at least 7 children per woman, and probably more. People are so tightly packed into al Baqa’a that, in the central areas, it is difficult to move because of the masses of people, cars, and animals.

Our group, walking through a narrow street.

backs

Two girls.

girls

Most houses to not have real roofs, but instead use a piece of tin with a cement block to weight it down.

street

A typical Jordanian sight.

sheep

Tin shacks on the left.

scene

A beautiful door in on of the poorest areas in the camp.

door

Trash in the streets, with outter Amman in the background.

scene 1

Goats in front of dwellings.

goats

A donkey, tied to someone’s house, forages among the rubble.

new donkey



Tags: ,

One response to “Al Baqa’a”

  1. though I live in amman/jordan
    I’ve never been to these places

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *