BootsnAll Travel Network



Dec. 31: Queenstown

 

 Queenstown Flowers

 Queenstown flowers

Happy New Year’s Eve!  Today was a beautiful day, bright and sunny and warm enough for a T-shirt, which was a nice change.  Today I was going to go to Glenorchy and do a horseback-riding trip, but everybody was booked solid.  Oops.  Guess I waited too long to make a reservation.  So instead I spent all day on my feet, hiking all the trails that loop behind Queenstown.  Okay, maybe not ALL of them, but a lot of them.

I started off doing the walk on the footpath on the lakefront between my hotel in Frankton and Queenstown’s city center, which took about 30-40 minutes.  I strolled once or twice around Queenstown, doing some window-shopping and grabbing a quick lunch at one of the cafes.  Then I headed back behind Queenstown on the Ben Lomond trail, which was HARD hard hard.  Steep and uphill most of the way.  Good exercise though right?  Now I know why it was labeled “High Fitness” on the DOC trail map.  Maybe it’ll burn off the calories I plan to drink tonight in celebration of New Year’s Eve.

Then again, maybe not.

 

View from the Fernhill Walk

View from the Fernhill Track

After I killed my muscles on the Ben Lomond I headed over to the Fernhill side of town and did the Fernhill track, which was a walk in the park compared to Ben Lomond and really quite scenic.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Tags:

2 responses to “Dec. 31: Queenstown”

  1. Janine Work says:

    HAPPY NEW YEAR! Great adventure-Justin is drooling all over your pictures-his dream place. Stay safe and talk soon-Mean Neen

  2. Bill Harrington says:

    Jess, the environs around Queenstown are very scenic. I see why you are so impressed with that part of New Zealand, although all of your pictures capture so much varied beautiful scenery. You now have many lasting memories, and I am happy that you shared your wonderful scenes of New Zealand with me and others. Thanks, Dad

  3. Scott says:

    Very pretty … my allergies kicked into high gear just looking at those photos 🙂 Hope you make (or have already made) it back safe and sound.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *