BootsnAll Travel Network



Dec. 25: Wanaka & Queenstown

Merry Christmas everyone! This is delayed a couple of days because I’ve been on the road, but I hope everyone’s holidays have gone well. In Wanaka I had a lovely sleepless night for Christmas Eve, because a trio of German girls decided to get far too inebriated, and consequently spent the night (beginning around 4:30 in the morning) puking into a bucket in our room. Really charming.

After wandering around Wanaka a bit more Christmas morning (nothing is open), I finally caught my bus to Queenstown at around 2 in the afternoon. It was about a 2, 2 1/2 hour drive, and then I had to deal with transport from Queenstown to my hotel, which is technically in Fernhill (up a steep, steep, steep hill from Queenstown’s town center, and therefore NOT something I wanted to hike up with my backpack on).

Once I was able to get up to Fernhill, I relaxed for awhile, took a long steamy shower (it’s so nice to be in a hotel instead of a hostel), and then strolled back down to Queenstown (the hill’s ok downhill, of course) to meet my buddy Dan for dinner. Dan’s driving me to Te Anau and keeping me company for the 26th and 27th. We had Turkish take-out in the pouring rain. We also had some really good New Zealand red wine (this is actually the first time I’ve had any wine from New Zealand).

Queenstown is beatiful, really stunning, 20 times better than Wanaka (although I know such a statement mind offend some people!) I can’t wait to get back here and get some nice pictures of it. It’s situated on a lake, like Wanaka, but it’s far more spectacular scenery, and the town (though touristy) is larger than Wanaka and feels more urban, which is nice for a change.

So I apologe that my day was not interesting or blog-worthy, but hey, it was Christmas 🙂



Tags:

One response to “Dec. 25: Wanaka & Queenstown”

  1. russ says:

    Glad to hear you’re out traveling again. Geat pics and I got the feeling it’s cold. Have fun!!
    All the best in 2007.
    R

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *