BootsnAll Travel Network



Wicklow

Went to wicklow today. Most of the tour seemed like filler, but glendalough was gorgeous. We drove along the coast south from Dublin (you could see Howth from across the bay), past a bird refuge (booterstown or something like that), down to Dun Loughaire (Dun LEARY), which had a martello tower. I must’ve seen about 8 of those by now. Then into Dalkey, which is a heritage town and where Enya and Bono and everybody have their castles. Then a coffee break at AVOCA, which was a giant store. I’m thinking the driver got a kickback for stopping there – it wasn’t like it was traditional or anything. Then up into the mountains, past Glancree, which has a graveyard that is technically German soil (about 100 German soldiers from the world wars – Ireland was neutral). It also has a center that used to be British barrack during the war, and has been turned into a peace and reconciliation center (last month they had a bunch of Israeli and Palestinian kids up there). Lots of forrests (yay!). Turns out the government has plans to increase forest cover in Ireland to 20% from its current 10% and in 2000, every household had an oak tree planted for them somewhere. More roadside mary shrines (they make me think of Miyazaki every time). Then blanket bog which was very pretty high up and very pretty with lots of heather swept mountains. Lots of waterfalls. A bunch of movies were filmed up there: Braveheart, King Arthur, etc… (some film called PS I love you, based on a book by the prime ministers daughter  was just shot there).  Then lough bree, owned by the guiness family to make beer. Then roundtree – Ireland’s highest village (maybe), and finally Glendalough. Built in the 600s as a monastery, raided 28 times by vikings, founded by St. Kevin, who later became a hermit up in the hills. It has the oldest surviving celtic cross. I walked around the grounds and then up to the upper lake (glendalough – glen of the 2 lakes), which had absolutely GORGEOUS scenery. I’ll get photos up at some point.

I’m looking forward to the match tomorrow. Should be a really good time. 30,000 English are descending upon the city. Going to Yo Thai for dinner tonight.

Oooh – Live! Rude! Girl! columns are up at http://www.sfgate.com/columns/liverudegirl/archive/  (this week’s is brilliant  as always – she lists the 12 sexiest men who were never alive (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/26/PKGMQKFMGP1.DTL). I particularly like:

Chris Keller (serial killer, “Oz”): He had his faults. For starters, he broke his boyfriend’s arms and legs. He ruined a nun. Still, he was the sultriest man-slut ever to sashay through a maximum-security prison, and all he wanted was a little love, and murder. But let’s not quibble.

She has a point. AND – I noticed the other night on the South Park that when Cartman goes to juvie they play the Oz theme music. Ha! For Saki and Kristl: “Diego Luna: Four words: “Y tu mamá también.” So pretty it hurts.” (although I’d argue that applies to Gael Garcia Bernal as well. Well, he’s not so much pretty… ah whatever.)

Stupid girl (live 96) – garbage



Tags:

Comments are closed.