BootsnAll Travel Network



Salisbury

Whee! Good day today – despite the rain (I’m not sure everything is going to dry out…) Left exeter this morning and got to Salisbury, which is a seriously nice town. Although there are some odd juxtapositions of architecture – some 13th century stone work next to a starbucks. My hostel is lovely – it has its own private drive up a sort of wooded path, and a porch and everything.  After checking in, I went to the coach and horses (a 13schmumumuh (read: 1358?) pub) for lunch. Dropped off my memory card to make a photo CD (I’ll work on getting those up at some point). Decided, ah sure, I’ll go see the Cathedral, its supposed to be nice.

Oh my god. The cathedral is stunning! It was finished in 1258 (ish?) and although I may have been in larger cathedrals (maybe?) the architecture in this one was just so… grand. I got there just in time for the last bits of evensong, and the choir and organ were amazingly pretty. And then! They have this chapel room, which not only has super cool architecture and this world famous freeze depicting genesis, it has the magna carta!! Who knew!?! (k – technically its one of four, but its the best preserved one). Then I stopped into a starbucks (I know, I know – BUT! They use reusable mugs if you are staying in – have the ones in the US started doing that as well?) And it was nice to curl up in the warm, while it was raining and finish my book (although I should never finish an Elizabeth George in public – the endings are always so sad.)

Then wandered around town for a bit (there’s a chippers st. next to salt ln., and a pennyfarthing st.!). Very cute. Off to stonehenge/avebury/ possibly old sarum tomorrow, glastonbury the day after. Not going to make it to winchester, but it would be a bit of a trek all to see where william whats-his-face was murdered in the new forest.

Oh my god! Patrick McDonnell (who does Mutts) inscribed a print of his for me (thanks to my dad!). Hmmm… I don’t think I can put the scan here. But it’s very lovely. The cat and dog looking at their reflection in a pond on a rainy day. 🙂

Think that’s most of my news. Holed up in the hostel for the night (awesome tv lounge – we’ve been watching the 100 greatest musicals – rocky horror made #7 – and debating their merits – AND! they get more4! I’m hoping the daily show will be on it). Hoping the rain will stop for tomorrow!



Tags:

-8 responses to “Salisbury”

  1. Karen says:

    I believe you mean, “frieze”, dear.