BootsnAll Travel Network



More from Sligo

I went out to Carrowmore this morning. It was closed (quelle surprise. When people were saying they couldn’t believe that I was coming to Ireland in winter, I thought they meant because of the weather (which is not bad). Nope – it’s cause the whole country shuts down! It’s so weird! I can’t get a bus to Westport till 3 today, because there are only 3 per day in the winter. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do about getting to Clifden from Wesport. I might have to go to Galway first – how odd is that?)

Anyhoo – there were no plaques or information sheets at Carrowmore, so I wandered around the fields and looked at stone tomb things. There was one big cairn that was partially hollowed out/ excavated in the middle, so you could walk in and see the tomb stone things. (I don’t know what they’re called properly). Anyways, I guess the site is suppossed to be quite big and quite old – but again, I don’t really know. Then I walked a few km back to town (scaring a herd of sheep on my way). Oh! I saw a heron. And I finally got a picture of Ben Bulben where you can see the top (its still overcast off and on so I didn’t hike up knocknarea, but I was able to see the cairn on top from Carrowmore.)
Then I went to a bakery/cafe, the Yeats memorial house (Maud Gonne was really pretty – and apparently 6ft – and I now know the quote in the Cranberries song is from Another Troy to Burn “Why should I blame her that she filled my days with misery…”), and then I came down by the river to find an internet cafe, and I found a really pretty section of town! I guess I just saw the not so nice parts yesterday. Anyways, the stores along the river are very cute and picturesque.

I have that stupid sea song from bedknobs and broomsticks stuck in my head – don’t ask me why. Lord knows I haven’t seen it since I was a kid, but I kept humming it all the way back to town.

Here’s my travel quote for the day (week? month?). From Rod Stewart – Every Picture Tells a Story: “Make the best out of a bad job and laugh it off. You didn’t have to come here anyway.”



Tags:

Comments are closed.