BootsnAll Travel Network



Jon Carroll

I bought my train ticket. I’m going from Perth to Adelaide on the 6th. Seeing Zodiac tonight, the aquarium tomorrow, and the tree top walk sometime between my farm stay and leaving. Here is some info on the farm where I wil be: http://www.rirdc.gov.au/champions/KervellaGoatCheese.html I think they have their own website, but I don’t have that in front of me.

Jon Carroll is a brilliant columnist. Here is an exceprt of his latest, in which he is describing the difference between the highly unlikely coincidence type of miracle, and the suddenly floating in the air babbling in tongues type of miracle:

Lots of stuff is inexplicable. People used electricity before they knew what it was. Hell, people used gravity before they knew what it was — not that they exactly know what it is even now. We accept the reality of sperm whales because we’ve seen them, but we don’t know where they breed or why they go where they go or what they do when they get there. They sure look like miracles; they’re 60 feet long and they make noises louder than rifle shots heard from 3 feet away. But all they are is highly improbable animals, miracles only in the colloquial sense.



Tags:

-6 responses to “Jon Carroll”

  1. Emily says:

    ahhhh!!! you’re doing one of my favorite things in australia! I love the treetop walk! If you possibly can, try to go both in the daytime and at night!