BootsnAll Travel Network



But within that inch we are free

Well, this entry has been accumulating over a few days so…
Info on a writers strikeNOoo!ABC’s writers strike memoThe official statementThe Brit listWriters prepare to get their strike onHow the strike will affect tv *sigh* Come back soon Daily Show! (Silver lining; I guess it’ll be easier to catch up on this fall’s stuff if there’s nothing new in the spring…)

It’s Guy Fawkes! That means everyone is allowed to set off fireworks from the 2nd till tonight, so I’ve been going to bed with sparklers exploding out on the street all weekend. It’s been nice (they’re all small ones, so none are too noisy). There’s going to be a huge show at the New Brighton Pier tonight, so I’ll be going to that.

Once this holiday is over, I guess that’s the sign for the Christmas season to start here. It’s faaar too sunny and warm for all that. (It’s light out till like 9pm).
 

Not a very exciting weekend. I went to the Art Gallery on Saturday. They had a special exhibit of Maori portrait photographs. Their older stuff was kind of a mixed bag and they had some good modern stuff. The gallery itself was really lovely. Then I wandered around the Arts Center, through Hagley Park, and went to the Riccarton Mall to see the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which I absolutely loved. The acting is just tremendous. Brad Pitt is great, Casey Affleck is totally brilliant, and Sam Rockwell is great as always, and completely mesmerizing for about the last half hour. (I cannot believe it’s been 2.5 years since he had a film in theaters!! Yup – Hitchhikers opened on my 22nd birthday. I was totally giddy when his name came up last in the credits – he got the “and”!)

The film itself is dreamy and lush and I loved the narration. It’s very different from pretty much anything else you’re likely to see in cinemas (I definitely see the Malick comparison, but the narration lends the film a feeling of an old time story rather than a dreamscape). I highly, highly recommend it. Other than that, I spent some time around the house doing chores. Watched Season 3 of Lost (so, so good). The flashbacks were generally an improvement from season 2, plus we got 2 Desmond episodes (and lord bless the costume designer who makes him keep his shirt off or halfway unbuttoned). The Kate love triangle was developed well, after making the mistake of adding Nikki and Paolo, the writers had the good sense to kill them off in an awesome way, and I absolutely loved the Ben-Locke interplay;

Locke: Where do you get electricity?
Ben: We have two giant hamsters running in a massive wheel in our secret underground lair.

Hee.

And! Derek Jacobi was on Doctor Who last night! I LOVE Derek Jacobi! (It was a good episode, too). Ha – I love this trivia, “Sir Derek Jacobi is the first knight of the realm to act in Doctor Who.” 

In honour of Guy Fawkes day, some V for Vendetta tidbits:
Evie blows up parliament and Valerie

RIP Colbert campaign.

Office season 3 bloopers.

Johnny Depp on Sweeny Todd.

IFC nabs Midnight Kiss.

Fincher to direct the Killer.

7 most over-used lines in movie trailers Of course, the best parody of movie trailers comes from Stephen Fry doing the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. And someone else posted this one, which made me laugh out loud (thank god I’m by myself today!)

Totally bizarre cast list for Ye Old Times.

Totally bizarre cast line-up for The Other Side I really liked Katie Holmes in Go and Pieces of April, so maybe she could make a comeback from crazy? However, I’m not sure, given this movie’s description, that this is the one to do it. 

Hee. QC is going to make “I can has torrents” t-shirts! Yay! (Geek? Moi?)

The West is yet to come. I’d like to point out that the 3:10 has yet to be released internationally, as far as I know. Plus there are still DVD rentals and sales for their budgets. As for Assassination, maybe it was keeping the film on the shelf for a whole damn year that influenced it’s returns. 

Kevin Smith protests Dogma.

15 best SNL music skits

There’s a feature over on popwatch confessional discussing celebrities you find attractive (Mom – you’ll be happy to note that someone put Toby Stephens on there, and Hugh Laurie gets a few mentions).

The most amazing thing about this popwatch confessional is how amazingly eclectic most people’s lists are! Sure, you have a lot that are Christian Bale, Jake Gyllenhaal, Clive Owen, George Clooney/ Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp, but a lot of people have really random choices. There are lots of “Steve Buscemi (shut up, I know)” or “I know – he’s way too old/ young for me” or ”I can’t explain it” or “you’ll have to look him up – he’s a really obscure British actor”.  I guess it’s nice to know that everyone gets occasional crushes on guys that they cannot explain. Or that someone they don’t normally find attractive works it in a particular movie or role.

It was kind of scary how quickly I was able to rattle off 10 guys I find attractive without a second thought. So… since I am majorly bored today, I thought I’d see if I could come up with a hottest guys list (at the moment – so no Cary Grants, Sean Connerys, etc.), you know, in case people magazine ever needs ideas. To wit; Milo Ventimiglia, David Tennant, Davey Havok, John Krasinski (I’d like to point out that he is the most mentioned man on the confessional), Christian Bale, Jake Gyllenhaal, Eric Szmanda, Josh Radnor, Cillian Murphy, Johnny Depp, Stephen Colbert, Christopher Meloni, Ewan McGregor, Gavin Rossdale, Anthony Kiedis, Taye Diggs, Hrithik Roshan, Hugh Jackman, Billy Crudup, Goran Visnjic, Orlando Bloom, David Beckham, Henry Ian Cusick, Clive Owen, Gerard Butler, Jonathan Rhys Myers (why look – the entire cast of Velvet Goldmine…), Joseph Fiennes, Guy Pearce, Ian Somerhalder, Robert Downey Jr, Ashton Kutcher, Timothy Olyphant, Rodrigo Santoro, James Franco, Justin Theroux, Josh Holloway, Leonardo DiCaprio, Gael Garcia Bernal, Diego Luna, Topher Grace, Pierce Brosnan… I’m sure I could think of others, but I probably should get back to work… 

I’d like to point out that the other half of the question was what embarrassing celebrity crush will your friends never let you live down. And someone else said that their first Hollywood crush was Jeff Goldblum. Nice to know I’m not alone in this world.
 

Musica: The Reason – Hoobastank, Silver and Cold – AFI, Never let you go – Third Eye Blind, Sweet Child – Guns and Roses, Disarm – Smashing Pumpkins, Bleed American – Jimmy Eat World, Everything is Average Nowadays – Kaiser Chiefs, Sweet Jane (live) – Velvet Underground, Barely Legal – The Strokes



Tags:

6 responses to “But within that inch we are free”

  1. Karen says:

    “My family will never, ever let me forget that my very first hollywood crush (at 13) was Jeff Goldblum after Independence Day. They still comment on that, more than a decade after the fact.”

    It was actually after the Fly. Long before Ind. Day. And you’re right! I’ll never let you forget it! Bwahahahahahahaha…..

  2. admin says:

    It was not!! I saw the Fly about a year after I saw Independence Day. I saw the Fly when I was in 8th grade. Independece day came out in July ’96, about a month before I went to Argentina.

  3. Karen says:

    BTW, here’s my 5:
    Karen Wed, Nov 7, 2007 at 06:29 PM EST

    1. Toby Stephens – Haven’t you guys seen Jane Eyre?
    2. Toby Stephens – Jumping in the river naked in The Cambridge Spies
    3. Toby Stephens – Taking a bath in Twelfth Night
    4. Toby Stephens – Showering in the Queen’s Sister (what can I say? The guy looks good wet!)
    5. Toby Stephens – Strutting across the room to grab the sabers in To Die Another Day

  4. admin says:

    Well, I guess it’s nice to know I’m not the only freak in the family 😉

  5. Karen says:

    I just went back to check for comments, and no one posted after mine, so (Toby and) I got in the last word! Bwahahahahahaha….

  6. […] Rainn Wilson, Sex God? Clearly, People should’ve used my list.  Also; 100 sexy men in 1 minute. Which would be easier to do if the editor wasn’t a ferret with ADD high on pixie sticks. (From what I can tell, it does include Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael C. Hall, Milo Ventimiglia, Orlando Bloom, Ashton Kutcher, Clive Owen, Gavin Rossdale, Hugh Jackman, Josh Holloway, Ryan Reynolds Christian Bale, Peter Krause, John Krasinski, and the guy who plays Archie on CSI I think. Inexplicably, it also has Prince Harry, Tim Gunn (I think that’s his name), Michael Cera, TR Knight, Shia LeBouf, Andy Samberg (from SNL), and Terrence Howard in a lavender shirt. Dude.)  […]