BootsnAll Travel Network



I haven’t had a good fight in years

Finished watching Heroes season 1. Of course, now I want to know what happens to the Petrelli brothers, but they aren’t putting episodes of the new season on itunes. (Not that I could really afford that anyways…) But I noticed that with the Office as well – is that just because NBC’s contract with itunes is expiring? I used to get new eps of the Daily Show and South park in college. And I could have sworn other tv shows would add their latest episode a few days after it aired.

All in all – a lot of the cast of heroes is more pretty than particularly brilliant actors (as one person put it, Mohinder’s ability is being tall, dark, and handsome, although I personally wish Mohinder would discover that little thing called a facial expression). Since it came out 2 years after Lost, it’s bound to suffer comparisons, what with having a inventive exctiting first season, sci-fi elements, and (from what I hear) a bit of a sophmore slump. (My guess as to that slump? I hear somebody cut Milo Ventimiglia’s hair. Seriously – there’s your problem. (I kid – the man is so handsome, he would probably look good bald)). Anyways – I enjoyed most of the first series, although the pacing of a show is obviously different if you sit down to watch a whole thing, versus waiting a whole week to see something new (hey – that reminds me – new Doctor Who tonight! score!). I noticed that with Lost – I zipped through the whole first season, but waiting a week for new episodes in the 2nd season made me look at the merits of each individual episode more.

I caught scrubs the other night – and they used my idea! When Carla and Turk were having a baby, they had a contest to name the child, and I wrote in that it should be J____ Dylan, so that it would be JD for short (I can’t remember what J I picked – I know it wasn’t Jessica…). Anyways – I have no idea what that baby was named, but the episode I saw was dr. Cox having a 2nd child and they pick Jennifer Dylan (Dillon?) because JD wants her initials to be JD! Ok – so I probably wasn’t the only person to come up with that idea – but it made me smile.Things that do not make me smile? My housemate coming back at 6:30am, high out of his mind, blasting his car stereo RIGHT outside my window, and waking me up. On a SUNDAY. Who does that?And I had the day from hell at work on Friday. And none of it was my fault. We have all these room hires going on and I can’t do them all myself. I can’t WAIT till Craig gets back so we have someone who knows about technical things around to help out. I don’t know anything about installing servers…Ah well. I spent 2 hours at the gym (class first, which was a yoga/tai chi/ pilates mix, and then a session with May. I’m using all new weight machines now, including chin-ups. Full disclosure – they’re “assisted” chin-ups, but I still feel like a bad ass doing them.). However – my arms are already sore, meaning tomorrow is gonna be bad. Talked to my mom. Since work was crap last Thursday and Friday, and tomorrow will be more of the same, I’m taking the rest of the day easy. One good thing for tomorrow – at least I’ll be buying my bus pass. Yay!

And the rest is entertainment stuff, with a quick travel note at the end. From the box office challenge update. [And let me tell you (knock on wood) I’m feeling excited about my picks this week…. I’m so gonna crack the top 10%]

“Well, box office fans, it seems as if the Gods of Movies About Things That Go Bump in the Night and Send Shivers Down Your Spine smiled upon most of those who dared play the most recent round of EW.com’s Fall Box Office Challenge. For the first time in nearly a month, the clear favorite going into the weekend — in this case, Josh Hartnett’s vampires-in-Alaska horror flick, 30 Days of Night — came out the other side a definitive No. 1, with a $16 mil gross. A whopping 56 percent of all participants in our little game saw it coming. Of course, an even more whopping 76 percent thought that Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal’s Rendition would finish higher than it actually did (ninth place, with a shockingly bad $4.1 mil). The French have a word for a movie like that, PopWatchers, it’s called une bombe.”

Yeah, 30 Days of Night was easy, but I was one of the ones who thought Rendition would score higher. I was really excited for it when the trailer came out. However, people who might see a film like that are also the people who will check in with the reviewers first, and it did not fare well there. That’s one problem with trying to pick the box office scores – I have to submit my guesses before a lot of the reviews come in. Also, I know where to find the number of theatres showing a film if it is opening or expanding, but not after that…. Still, I’m doing all right so far…

Most easily escapable movie monsters. “For example, both Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees aren’t very fast when it comes to following their intended victims. In order to avoid being killed by one of them, all you really need to do is find an open field and run … fast. Of course, according to our Friday the 13th death count, this didn’t work out so well for 153 people.”

Paramount Vantage poses potential Oscar scripts. (I’m reading a Mighty Heart)

7 fairy tales that would make great horror films. I love the old Grimms fairy tales. We had a battered old cloth copy when I was little. My favourite was Snow White and Rose Red, which I chose to adapt for a stage production in my theatre visual arts class in college. (My friend Mike, who is going to be a director, and who actually met Steven Spielberg) did little red riding hood, and made this totally creepy, possibly lethal miniature stage. Really, truly – it had all these pins and jagged edges sticking out and really could have been dangerous.)

Jaimie Foxx to star in the Zebra murders. Is it just me, or did San Francisco seem to have some serious serial killer problems back in the day?

Woody Harrelson and Oliver Stone reteam for Pinkville.

Why Dumbledore’s outing matters.

15 sinister satans. (Dad – it’s got John Glover from Brimstone). And hey! They have Alan Cumming on there from that very short lived sitcom, God, the Devil, and Bob. I vaguely remember seeing an ep. of that. (BTW – I met Alan Cumming! Yes, every time I mention a celebrity I’ve met, I will do that.)

The ultimate male hotties. It skews pretty recent, since most of the reader write-ins are recent (Gerard Butler, Orlando Bloom) Also includes Christian Bale, Pierce Brosnan, Cary Grant, Josh Holloway (although I personally think this one is a better scene – and for a LOST star I’d pick either Ian Somerhalder or Henry Ian Cusick, but that’s just me), Hugh Jackman, and Ewan McGregor.

Even Stephven highlights. God, always so funny. “8 years of peace” “Shut the fuck up!”

Ice skating scandal by Stephen Colbert. “You can’t judge me now!” Awww… they cut out the ending of Jon cracking up.

You are what you watch. I think everyone is somewhat mindful of other people’s reactions. And I know I judge people on their favourite things. Like take one of my current housemates. I’ve been watching Six Feet Under and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. He watches the Wayans Brothers and Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader? (I’m totally serious. I’ve finally met someone who actually watches these programs). Needless to say, we don’t really see eye to eye on many things. Like the importance of not being an ass on Sunday mornings.

Repo; the genetic opera trailer. Oh My Holy God. Heroes vids: This makes me laugh. And this one is fun (though I can’t find one with Peter throwing the guard into the wall – which is awesome and completely bad ass. Oh – it crops up in the end of this one, around 5:00. I will say – I think it was smart of Heroes to do 2 episodes in the past and one in the future. The six months ago and five years gone are both really interesting stories and show that there is, in fact, at least some character development. Plus, they’re both very fun episodes.)

From The Onion, via my mother:Rockies Complain About ‘Thick’ Fenway Park Air
BOSTON—Although Colorado players, managers, and coaches said they would not issue a formal complaint about the playing conditions in Boston, the Rockies have gone on record as saying the “thick, soupy sea-level air” in the city made it unusually difficult for them to play baseball. “Seriously, I can barely push my bat through this stuff,” said Rockies slugger Matt Holliday, who collapsed and had to be administered less oxygen after Wednesday’s practice. “I was hitting them as hard as I could out there and the ball was still returning to the earth. We might as well be playing in quicksand.” Other Rockies players were equally vocal in their criticism of the hostile atmosphere in Boston, with Kaz Matsui claiming he found it hard to slide through the viscous air and Willie Taveras aggravating a recent thigh injury while attempting to stand up quickly.

More on the best soundtracks. Apparently the ones released were the top 10 of 40, so the ones people are complaining about might be further down the list. This article mentions Garden State, 8 mile, Hustle and Flow, and the Matrix. Which reminds me, of all of my music being transferred to my ipod, the only one I’ve found (so far) that doesn’t work is a techno song, supposedly from the Matrix 2. (Supposedly because I think I ran across it searching for something else). I know most of the soundtracks tend to be hard rock and marilyn manson and whatnot, so maybe this song isn’t from the matrix, but I really liked it – does anyone out there know what it might be? I could try looking for the original file on my harddrive, but sifting through 6,000+ songs at the moment is not something I want to be doing. Haha! I found it on youtube! It’s apparently The Cynic Project- Matrix. I’ll have to find a new copy. As for the list, I’d add a couple of musicals (Moulin Rouge at the top), Go (which I listen to on a very regular basis), Romeo and Juliet (I still love, love, love #1 crush), the Life Aquatic, Kill Bill 1, I am Sam, the X-Files, Gone in 60 seconds, Royal Tennenbaums, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, Empire Records, Groove, Grosse Point Blank, High Fidelity, the Graduate, Almost Famous, Good night and good luck, Great Expectations (Tori Amos and Mono – if I remember correctly. Tori’s song Siren on there is one of my faves). Oh my god – Rocky Horror! Of course. Although I can understand if they don’t include musicals. As for the arguments going on over the best score? That’s Last of the Mohicans, hands down.

By the way, I did just realize this week that Christchurch is the furthest South in the world I’ve ever been. Also, since I’m over 12 months away from home, I’m working on a little retrospective of what I’ve seen and done so far, but that’ll take me a couple of days what with work being so busy.



Tags:

4 responses to “I haven’t had a good fight in years”

  1. Karen says:

    Ha, ha to the wimpy Rockies! We beat them on their own turf! THE RED SOX WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!!

    I’ve been up really late the last many nights, b/c they start the games at 8:30, and one of them didn’t end until something like 1:30. Totally worth it….

  2. Karen says:

    PS — for once, I actually approve of/understand/agree with one of your movie crushes. I can’t spell or pronounce his name, but he IS really handsome!

  3. Karen says:

    PPS — your comment about SF and the craziness back in the day prompts me to say that’s why those of us who lived through the 60s and 70s aren’t so shocked by bombs and terrorists and other types of assorted mayhem. We’ve seen it all before…

    Gee, what’s that quote? Those who don’t remember….

  4. admin says:

    Yay Red Sox. Give the Giants a couple of years under new management, though, and they’ll be back.

    Ven – ti – mee – lee – ah. Means 20 miles in Italian. Isn’t he gorgeous? He’s the whole reason I started watching Heroes. And well worth it, I think.

    I know – you’d think all the plane jackings that happened before I was born would mean people wouldn’t freak out as much about flight safety, but everytime something new happens, they do it all over again.

    Still – even considering how many crazy serial killers were around in the 60s and 70s, it still seems to me like SF had an oddly high proportion. I still want a button that says, “I am not Paul Avery”.