BootsnAll Travel Network



Valentine’s Day Redux

Wow….what a city. We love Luang Prabang. Smiling locals, great colonial architecture, beautiful Mekong sunsets, an unexpectedly quiet atmosphere, and, of course, better than expected food.

We are finally getting the hang of it….constantly-changing travel, that is!!! As we arrived in L.P., per our last email we wandered up to the town from the slow boat drop-off and knew we’d love this place. We found our guesthouse in record time and, even, already had a reservation. Now we aren’t bragging, it’s just that we are proud of our learning curve!!
We knew that after a two-day boat ride some spoils were in order. First on the agenda was making up for a boring Valentine’s Day. That meant splurging on our most expensive dinner yet, $70!!! Yikes. We split a great bottle of French wine and Jeff had to treat himself (He’s not gettin’ any skinnier, folks!!!) to a seven-course set menu at Villa Santi. We had a great time making up for Valo Day with the restaurant all to ourselves, a balcony table overlooking the main street, and a local Lao acoustical music group to play for us. Although we were accompanied by 30 of our closest “Gecko” friends overhead, the night was enjoyable and we have to recommend Villa Santi (thanks Russ!!) for any future visits to Luang Prabang. The next two days were filled with bike-riding on Beach Cruisers, exploring the city and local temples, as well as a full pamper, spa day for Becca and a day at the beach with the locals for Jeff. The city itself has quite a rich history and some amazing sites, including The Royal Palace, local night market, and a mountain-top temple with amazing Mekong-sunset views.

A few things we have to mention….One, how cute the monks are. In Lao, especially Luang Prabang, the number of monks is astounding and they all seem to travel together while sharing an umbrella-shade for the group. It’s quite funny. Two….we have noticed in Laos is the prevalence of primary schools. We have had a blast sitting by as the kids played “one-foot tag”, walked home hand-in-hand, or just hung around the schoolyard after class. After talking with a few locals the primary kids go to state-sponsored school while if you want to continue onto secondary that’s when the parents have to start paying. We were quite shocked that the nationalist Lao government supports no foreign language classes and English classes cost upwards of $20-40 a month per child. Can you imagine paying that when you only make $50-100 per month? And we thought our college tuition was a drag? UGHH!!! Luckily (as we ran into later), there are many of the middle and upper class kids learning English and, hopefully, this will eventually trickle down to the kids that can’t afford such education. We anticipate our own adventure and education will inspire us in the future to contribute something as small as language-learning materials for this country that strives to pull itself out of the “Least Developed Country” category by 2020.

Ok..back to our adventures. We decided on our last day in L.P. to venture away from the city to the waterfalls of Kuang Si. Great Choice!!! After a bumpy 45 minute mini-bus (Jeff got shotgun the whole way!!!!) we arrived at the falls and knew we were in for a good time. It is a bit touristy but well worth it!!! The hike to the falls is fairly short but, of course, Jeff needed a little extra calorie burn (to work off the seven courses) and put in another 30 minutes to the tippy-top. So peaceful and quiet watching the falls drop hundreds of feet below to where Becca was relaxing. After a sweaty hike, Jeff had to hop in and cool off under the falls although the Princess thought getting completely wet was too much so she just took a wade!! Well, it was still a great time and the journey in the minibus and seeing the outerlying areas of Luang Prabang was quite an experience in itself.

Our last night in Luang Prabang sealed the deal on a great experience. As we were securing our ticket to head to Phonsavan, the next day, we ran into Jeanette and Allyson (our friends from Chiang Dao)!!! They were just arriving from Northern Laos and we spent all night trading funny stories and enjoying a fabulously, unique Laotian BBQ dinner. Eat your heart out Russ!!! This was one for the ages.

Well…..off to Phonsavan, a small city on the Lao-Vietnamese border to take in a little sightseeing and small-town culture. We regret the blogs are getting shorter but the internet access is getting more expensive and a lot slower…HAHA!!



Tags: , ,

5 responses to “Valentine’s Day Redux”

  1. Mom z says:

    Villa Santi, here we come….what a great resort. How lucky you J and B are going to have such a well-travelled future brother in law.
    Quite shocked about the foreign langauge cost requirement and I think your idea for contribution is outstanding….maybe tredici can send ous over there for tutoring lessons and we can supply some materials through donations of all our teaching friends!!
    Alter talking with you the other evening and was glad to hear the falls were all you anticipated and the hike was necessary and needed after your 7 course meal…J.J.!!!
    All my “older girlfriends” are still laughing and smiling at the LOOFAH…and “gordon” geckos….thanks for the wonderful commentary…we love it!!
    We miss you and love you ….stay safe…..Love MomZ

  2. Jamie Miller says:

    Becca- Back in D.C., we’re getting ready for the NIC/NPC Congressional visits and reception…I will miss you this year! I love the blog- it really sounds like you’re having a great time. Any chance you’ll be back in China at the end of May? I’m traveling to Beijing, Chongqing and Chengdu with some fellow congressional staffers! Jamie, your favorite AST.

  3. B's Mom says:

    Interesting info about the education system. Education is limited by your resources. Are the teachers trained locally or are they trained in other parts of the country? Another question I have is, are there boarding schools where children leave their families and attend school….for tuition? Your Valentine meal sounds delightful and well deserved. I have to say I haven’t quite gotten over your two days on the boat..what a trip. Love reading your journal and keeping in touch. Miss you both. Love, Mom J

  4. B's Mom says:

    The latest pictures are wonderful. I love the ones of children…you are quite the photographers. It looks so very peaceful and quiet in most of your photos…serene. Is that the case? Mom J

  5. Chip Dale says:

    Those monks were almost naked. What kind of crazy place is this.

  6. B & J says:

    Thanks for the posts everyone!!! We are so glad that you are liking the stories (thanks Jeff) and the photos. We will be in China in March Jamie….so it looks like we will miss each other. I hope the visits go well….is it early this year? I thought it wasn’t until April…..but my timing is way off these days!

    I am also glad that the loofah has provided such laughter….believe me I STILL laugh about it when I picture it hanging on that nail in that bathroom – and the worst part is that I wanted a shower SOOO bad and I just couldn’t do it….not even the loofah was a draw:)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *