BootsnAll Travel Network



Life On The Road

Well…..after five months we have finally made it to the developed world…Europe. As we were reading the other day we found a diatribe that perfectly encompassed the way we are feeling after almost 200 days on the road. We should be able to relay many of the adventures we have recently had in Andalusia in the next week so stay tuned for Flamenco Dancing, wine tasting, beach bathing, and most importantly, Becca’s birthday. Those of you who have travelled like this you know the point we are at and those who haven’t you should all enjoy a good chuckle at our current state of mind!!

“There’s nothing worse than the working-stiffs back home giving you hell for traipsing around a foriegn continent living a “carefree” life on the road. What they don’t know is that it’s not all “Mangoes and Sunshine”. The road means getting up at the crack of dawn to catch a bus after being kept awake all night by the blaring bar downstairs and squeaking bedsprings in the hotel room next door. It means sucking dust on a long bus ride while manically trying to guess which of the towns you keep passing through is the ONE you intended to visit. It means blissful relief when you finally arrive and find your pack still on the roof. It is the sight of begging children, the arduous haul to the hotel, a screaming bladder and the excitement of a new town all catapulting your mind from one emotional extreme to another.

The hotel manager says the showers are hot, but the water hitting the skin is as cold as the bottom of Lake Titicaca. There’s no seat on the toilet (at least the bowels are behaving)….You call that a FAN?!!….sounds like a helicopter! OK – now for food. Leave the pack in the corner, get out the map, locate the market, grab the passport (or leave behind?) and go! The sun feels great, then you get lost, your mood turns sour as your blood-sugar crashes, you find the market, smell the mangos and try to haggle but have no clue what the fruit seller is saying. You finally had over the cash – Did I just get ripped off? – and walk out to find a good place to eat. Is this easy? Travelling the world certainly has its trials, but that’s why we do it. And it sure beats working!!!”



Tags:

2 responses to “Life On The Road”

  1. B's Mom says:

    B and J, funny I was thinking just this week that you might be getting a little road worn. Time to rest and relax a little and enjoy the remaining two months of your trip. While we have missed you greatly it has been wonderful to travel along with you by BLOG, email, IM, and voice IMng..whatever you call it. Life in Seattle is July nice. Two more weeks for me and then back to work for another year….I’m counting down!

    Talk with you soon,
    Love, Mom

  2. Mom and Dad z says:

    Jeff and Becca
    Glad to hear you two are keeping the right perspective while traveling…all work and no play makes for dull people! Play and enjoy! I personally can’t wait to hear about the Flamenco dancing…..We still miss you and always wish you safe travels…….Love mom

  3. Steph and Chris says:

    That was VERY funny! Just wrote you guys a grumbling note about adjusting to being back at home and then have clicked on your website…..thanks for making me LOL and giggle as a begrudgingly get a work outfit on and head out the door to start week #2 back at the office. Sigh. Have fun you guys!!

    Steph and Chris
    (Nairobi friends)

  4. Groucho Marx says:

    Travelers….

    Not that you were searching for it, but i am really proud of you guys. While, traveling is a wonderful experience it is also a constant battle and you have taken every trial and tribulation in rhythm.

    The public has some important questions…..

    1. How many books have been read?
    2. What is the closest either of you have come to serious injury….either at your own hands or the hands of another?
    3. What is the most valuable thing that has been lost (doesn’t necessarily have to be monetary value. I once had a 15 hour train trip and after two hours i changed trains and left my grocery bag full of lunch and dinner on the last train. Only about 30 stones, but worht much more to a starving student)
    4. What is the closest moment to someone calling off the rest of the trip?
    5. Where was the best meal?
    6. Who is the consesus best person met on the trip?

  5. Andrew says:

    Classic! I love hearing everything. Now, cannot wait for the next wine tasting bit.

    Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *