BootsnAll Travel Network



Kentucky Fried Becca

We are back from the beach and the lovely beachside community of Sihanoukville. What a private oasis for any one looking for a change from the beaches of Thailand but still residing on the Gulf of Thailand. Sorry to report that we don’t have any pictures to show as Jeff made a conscious effort to detox from camera work. But let us tell you it was great….except for the sunburn. Becca used her SPF 30 the first day and still got burnt to a crisp. Needless to say we had to stay an extra day by the pool under the umbrella in order to make up for the 2nd day that Becca had to spend indoors. She is fine now except she feels like she wants to rip her skin off. Otherwise, Sihanoukville and specifically Serendipity Beach is a great find for a beach getaway if you plan on visiting Cambodia. Four hours from Phnom Penh on an easy, aircon bus and $30 for a real 3-4 star hotel (Golden Sand) including breakfast buffet and private pool. The walk to the beach is about 50 meters and really easy. The city and its beaches are popular with locals but still haven’t regained their luster of the 70’s when it was “the” place to be on the beach in Cambodia. Building and construction are starting to pick up but still a few years away. This makes Sihanoukville and enjoyable place to avoid the mass tour buses and unsavory characters of some of the well-known Thai beach hotspots.
Finally, two recommendations…..We would highly recommend Sokha beach as well. If you aren’t on a “fixed income” or budget the $100 Sohka Beach Resort with private, security-guarded beach is the way to go. If you can’t swing that just tell the moto driver to take you to the north end of the beach and find the bungalow just north of the resort where the beach is public. Very Nice……Last recommendation is Holy Cow Restaurant. We had a great meal with salad, bread, Pesto Chicken Pasta, Gourmet Baked Potato, and (count ’em) four cocktails and chocolate dessert…..all for $14 dollars. Give ’em a shot and don’t skimp on ordering, the quality is fantastic.

Ok….not much else to report except that we are reading up a storm. We have both finished and loved The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time as well as others. Curious is unbelievably written and a fascinatingly easy book to read. Pick it up!
Talk to you all when we get to Vietnam. Headed for Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) tomorrow morning and really looking forward to our two – three weeks there. Thanks again for all the comments and emails.



Tags: , ,

4 responses to “Kentucky Fried Becca”

  1. B's Mom says:

    Becca Jane…..sunburn. Red hair honey….instant burn. The sun must have been pretty close to you and very bright. You’ll look good when you finish peeling! Needless to say the beach at Ocean Shores wasn’t even close. 70 Mile an hour rains, thunder and lightning, hail, rain, sleet…..and the beat goes on. Back home now and getting ready to watch the State 4-A Finals. Hope your trip to Saigon was uneventful. There are so many memories from many friends that spent much time there during the war…oh the 60s you are bringing them back. Glad you took a breakfrom the camera Jeff and just enjoyed your time. Thanks for the rec. on the book. Take care and we’re looking forward to more adventures with you soon.

    Love, Mom MJA

  2. Andrew says:

    Sorry to hear Becca got so burned. Ouch!!

    Chicago just hit 68 degrees yesturday…back to the 40s today.

    Pics of Em soon to follow.

    Holy Cow sounds like a fab place…does Harry Caray’s family run the place?

  3. LD says:

    Hey guys, sunburn sounds awful. We had a high of 50 here in LA yesterday, but it was all made better by the fact that my Bruins won the PAC10 and got a number 2 seed in the tournament.

    Have fun in Vietnam!

    LLD

  4. admin says:

    LD….congrats on your Bruins. From the way it sounds they are really peaking at the right time. Becca says……”if they can’t do it in football, why not basketball?”

    Andrew……No, Harry didn’t mysteriously disappear and open an eatery in Cambodia. But the food was Chicago worthy. By the way we haven’t seen a ‘Bucks since Chiang Mai and are craving a Frapp right about now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *