BootsnAll Travel Network



It’s rough…it’s dusty…but that’s how you know it’s Safari Time!!

We could barely contain our excitement even as we went by passenger bus from Nairobi airport to Arusha, Tanzania which would serve as the origination point for our East African safari. Actually one of those reasons for the premature excitement was our viewing of giraffes and zebras even before getting to Arusha and Becca’s screams of glee as she finally laid eyes on the long awaited prize of safari animals. Over the next five days that glee and excitement wouldn’t leave either of us as our heads were on a constant swivel and knees acting as shock-absorbers as we awaited the next exciting animal around the corner.


As we arrived in Arusha, the friendliest guide in the world, Francis was eagerly waiting in his Landcruiser to whisk us away to the luxurious Karama Lodge. To our amazement our first night’s lodge was nestled away in the green (?), lush (?) almost tropical looking vegetation that surrounds all of Arusha and overlooks Mt Kilimanjaro in the distance. We both turned to each other and at the same time said: “Is this really Africa?” Well…as we will come to learn Tanzania is, not only, home to many fasncinating animals but a multitude of diverse microclimates as well!

Our safari begins the next morning with a short 2 hour drive to Tarangire National Park where we have been told elephants are plentiful and the different numbers of intensely colorful birds will change everything you previously thought about ‘boring’ birdwatchers. After checking into the park and driving, maybe, 50 yards we found ourselves inundated with animals. Giraffes to our right, gazelles to our left, little monkeys munching flowers, and birds calling out their different melodies all around! It was quite an introduction to the safari experience and after a few minutes of watching the giraffes gallop and monkeys fill their bellies we descended into the massive network of baobab trees and hidden animals. Today, we were on an elephant hunt as well as other things but “Ellies” were first on the agenda. As we crept down a side road (aren’t they all sideroads?!) all alone in our Landcruiser we rounded the bend and WHAM!! A whole family of elephants not more than a few feet away enjoying a light afternoon snack of trees and sticker bushes. Well as you can imagine Becca could hardly contain excitment but Francis reminded us to keep it to a dull roar as Momma Ellie wouldn’t think twice about charging us if she felt ‘Baby’ was in danger. As we whispered back and forth, laughed at the baby’s attempts to eat, and snapped a multitude of once-in-a-lifetime photos we stared in awe as the family traversed the road directly in front of us and without even a glance in our direction descended upon a new bounty of trees and bushes.

After such an amazing experience we wondered what else awaited us down the (pardon the pun) road on our first day out! To our amazement more elephants (in a bit of a tussle this time), a rare King Fisher bird, many more giraffes and, lastly, a family of babboons attempting a rush-hour migration across the road. This was quite a first day as we settled into our tented lodge accommodations at Tarangire Safari Lodge for the night on the edge of the park and watched our first sunset across the mystical safari landscape.

Our next morning started with a great breakfast (all the meals at all locations were fabulous!) and a long drive from Tarangire to the Serengeti National Park. This was our longest drive but also one of the most interesting as we passed through the hometown of our guide, Francis…..caught a glimpse of the Masai Mara tending to their herds….and got our first look at the Ngorongoro Crater where we would return to descend days later. As we entered the Serengeti we didn’t think we’d have much time for animal viewing due to the long day and the still long drive to the north end to find our night’s camp but WOW!! were we in for a surprise. Not five minutes into Serengeti we passed by one of the major “Pride” rocks and caught two lioness sunning themselves after what appeared to be a “filling” day. After an hour camping out watching Leo the Lazy Leopard we headed up the road to the Ikoma Bush Camp where we happened upon our sleeping companions for the night…..the entire Northern migration of wildebeests and zebras!!!! The amazing enormity of this migration is very difficult to articulate in words…so please view the photos and keep in mind we slept right in the middle of them all. Actually the snorts and grunts of the animals become a soothing sleep aid (almost like that rock/water-fountain thingy from Linens-n-Things) after you get use to them.

The next two days our task was to conquer the Serengeti and that we did. We saw the entire migration bathing; a family of lions feasting mid-day on one of the migration participants; more leopards hanging out; beautiful birds enjoying a seafood breakfast; crocs and hippos mingling in the water; countless giraffe; manically scampering families of warthogs; many more elephants; the head of a pride surveying his land and even a green mamba! As we reflect on this experience we are taken aback by the fact that you can’t have this type of experience (except for other safari lands like Kenya, Namibia,etc) anywhere else in the world….we challenge each of you to save and experience something like this once in your life!

After our unbelieveable Serengeti excursion we were headed back toward Arusha with a night’s stopover and day’s safari in the Crater of Ngorongoro. Wow…this a different world…..On the edge of the crater you actually need a jacket and socks!!! Seriously….this is Africa???! The crater itself is an unbelieveable sight to see which was created millions of years ago as a volcano imploded and created an entirely unique environment. After enjoying a wonderful sunset and restful sleep at the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge we headed down into the crater and enjoyed a great day of safari. Not only did we see a stalking cheetah; an entire family (including cubs) of lions enjoying a well-prepared meal of wildebeest; Momma and Baby hippo and more elephants but we got to see three of the 17 black rhinos in existence in the crater including one of the new babies!

Thank you to the wonderful Francis and Tropical Trails who did a great job getting us around the Tanzanian landscape while seeing almost every animal we could imagine. We are headed to the south now and the wintery environment of South Africa….stay tuned for our adventures in and around the Mother City!!!



Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “It’s rough…it’s dusty…but that’s how you know it’s Safari Time!!”

  1. LLD says:

    Hey kids, thanks for the amazing recap of your safari. I feel like I just went on a jaunt through Africa without leaving my couch.
    Your pictures are spectacular!

    Have a blast!

  2. Jane Curtis says:

    I’m been waiting for your entry from Africa. As I read your blog, I remembered my time (in many of the same places) and the beautiful and amazing animals. I need to start planning my climb of Mt. Kili soon … certainly after having read about your lovely experiences.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *