BootsnAll Travel Network



Pulau Weh and Happy Birthday Dad!!!

Boy is it tough to call home from a small little island in northern Indonesia!  Sorry about that dad but it was good to hear your voice!

Alright the trip here was awful!  We left Boreno two days ago to head back to KL.  When we got there we had to actually go to town to pick up some supplies, which happens to be an hour away from the airport!  We were really tired by the time we got in so pretty much just crashed.  However we did have to take the elevator one at a time, since our gear was to heavy says the manager 🙂  So the next day we get what we need and head back out to the airport.  The flight was alright, still think flying sucks.  When I die I am going to find the Wright Brothers and punch them in the nose!  🙂  Once at Banda Aceh the starting point for our journey to Pulau Weh, we saw the difference between were tourists go and where very little tourists go!  Okay granted the tsunami came through in 2004, but it was so not what we had expected.  Again we had another hour ride from the airport to our hotel, which we had only quickly research before deciding to stay there.  Well the outside of the hotel looked as if it would be pretty nice, it had tons of rooms but I think about 8 guests!  The rooms were rough for sure, there wasn’t even a sink in the bathroom and no shower.  Just a facet to fill up a little bucket to pour over yourself!  After several days of travelling I was smelling pretty awful, Maryanne wouldn’t let me lift my arms!  So I tried to take a shower but the water that came out smelled worse than me! Thankfully Maryanne had some clean wipes so there was my shower!  We didn’t stay in the room for long as we were hungry and wanted to try to find out where we were going to catch the ferry to Pulau Weh!  Both proved to be very difficult tasks and not many people speak english here!  We were near the river that feed into the ocean so we thought we would just follow it down and have a look for ourselves since the hotel stay hadn’t heard of Pulau Weh, really the big freakin island that all westerns go to to dive, you never heard of it??!?!?!?  So after a 5 mile hike we still couldn’t see the ocean, so lets get something to eat.  We tried to get a taxi to the ferry just to see where it was at and then Pizza Hut (we saw a sign and got excited).  Well they wanted to charge us more than the hour long ride from the airport so we were back to walking!  After about an hour of aimlessly walking around we found Pizza Hut.  Okay for those of you who don’t know it, it is currently Ramadan.  So if you are in a predominately Muslim country almost nothing is open and food isn’t served till sundown.  Not thinking these people would break fast a Pizza Hut we thought it was a good choice.  Boy were we wrong the place was packed and had a long line of people waiting.  Luckily there was an A&W nearby, it is fast food so there shouldn’t be much of a line.  Now that we are feed we were off to find an internet cafe to find out where we were in relation to the ferry.  Come to find out two key things, one the reason why no one knows Pulau Weh is cause the locals call it Spidackadk or something like that.  Secondly no one really knows when the ferry leaves, some websites say 9, 930 or 10am.  They also say the ferry is 15 – 45 min outside the city!!  So no real help there.  We head back to the hotel which was only about 10 min from the hotel come to find out, man if we had only gone right instead of left when we left the hotel!  Well at least we burned off all the calories we just put back into our bodies!  Once at the hotel we ask the same lady about Spidancks and she says “oh Pulau Weh” Maybe it was our accents she couldn’t understand !@**&@#!!! She kindly arranged a taxi for us at 745 even though  she said the ferry leaves at 10 and is only 15 min away.  So the next morning we got in the taxi for our 45 min ride to the ferry which leaves at 930!!!!  Gotta love travelling!  Once to the island we had a nice pretty hour drive to the part of the island where we are staying!  Why everywhere seems to take an hour I have no idea!  Lumba Lumba is fantastic, the rooms are great and man what a view.  We even have cows, goats, chickens and dogs roaming around.  Today we are just recovering, can’t wait to dive tomorrow!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *