BootsnAll Travel Network



Juxtapositions

Nothing like a few good juxtapositions to get a person going in the morning, like the big fat lazy snowflakes drifting through the Portland sky at this moment, falling on cherry blossoms and melting instantly. Eating breakfast at the table by the window, I saw a jogger in shorts, a long-sleeved T-shirt and tennis shoes, carrying an umbrella to fend off snowflakes. Or how about this news? My new home town has the world’s first vegan strip club. Or as a local newspaper put it, “Boobs with a Side of Soy.” Will this business be able to overcome the economic doldrums besetting the rest of the country? Only time will tell.

The world is so full of a number of things/ I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings. –Robert Louis Stevenson

I doubt there is a king in the world as happy as I am with my life. The work on the book goes well. Chloe is curled warmly on the top of my chair. And nothing in the world is dependable but change. As Faust said, thereby damning himself to hell, “Linger a while, thou art so fair.”



Tags: ,

One response to “Juxtapositions”

  1. h sofia says:

    The weather today was so strange. As I was driving across the Glen Jackson Bridge this morning, I thought of you, and how it was so clear the first two weeks you were here. I thought, “Here is that famous Portland weather!” I could barely see the river on either side for all the clouds. But today was an odd weather day – snow, hail, sunshine, rain, snow again, clouds, hail, drizzle. And fickle gusts of wind. Bewildering. Will the weather ever be normal again?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *