BootsnAll Travel Network



Farewell to Basho

This is a hard day. I took Basho to his new home. It’s a necessary step toward my new way of life, but Basho has been my familiar for the past five years: we’ve meditated together every morning and slept together every night; we’ve watched the dawn rise on whatever balcony I had at the time. We breathe in the same rhythm and are perfectly at peace with each other. We have a completely harmonious connection. When I left home in the morning, he would walk me to the door and mew goodbye. When I came home at the end of the day, he would run to the door when he heard the key in the lock and be there when the door opened. He was eight months old when he came to me, and we bonded as I hadn’t bonded with another animal since I was a child. For five years he has sat in my lap as I graded papers, read, worked at the computer, watched movies, or talked on the phone. The contours of his body are more familiar to me than my own. I’ve slept beside him longer than I’ve ever slept with anyone else, lived with him longer than I’ve lived with anyone but my children. He has a wonderful new home with another cat, a dog, and a woman who loves to read with a cat in her lap. It’ll be a great set-up when he gets used to it, but it’s unfamiliar now. I sat with him for an hour in his new home, and although the trip had unnerved him, he settled into my lap in a house full of new smells and gradually became more at ease and finally started to purr. But when I stood up to leave, he followed me. His brow wrinkled, and his eyes looked confused and fearful. I had to push him away from the door to get out. His new home is an hour and a half north of where I live, and as I drove home in the rain, sobbing, I listened to Andrea Chenier at the Met, and cried some more. I have four sets of papers to grade, and I can’t even bear to look at them. My body feels like wood. I think I’ll go to bed and pull the covers over my head. I feel the absence of his warm soft body like a great howl of emptiness.



Tags:

-1 responses to “Farewell to Basho”

  1. Kendall, nrnrIt’s me, Laurie. My email replies have bounced back so I haven’t been able to reach you. It’s odd that I found your blog address today and was able to re-establish communication with you on the day you took Basho to his new home. I can’t begin to imagine how difficult that must have been but I also know that you’ve secured him in a home that will be wonderful and he will be well taken care of. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Mexico. How is Manko doing? Please email me when you have time and update me on your address. I look forward to hearing from you and hope that all is well. nrnrTake care, nrnrLaurie & Dharmanr

  2. admin says:

    Laurie, I keep sending emails and getting no answer. Please call me. I’ve lost your phone number.

  3. constance says:

    Kendall,

    I am crying with you.

  4. Dave says:

    I kind of know how you feel because I have moved around so much in my life and I have had to leave so much behind. But I chose this way of life. I pull the covers over my head as often as I need to. That too is a precious choice. I think it all goes back to a cosmic choice to be born on this Earth, to be born here to learn lessons….Now about the papers you have to grade: yeah, I know how you feel because I am a teacher, too. But maybe you could just write little messages to each student, not necesarily correct every line. I think we both know many (most?) of your students did not want to write the darn thing anyway, but they might like to read a little message from you. I know that when I was a student–and I was a pretty serious student–I often dreaded writing papers, but I always appreciated a message from the teacher. I ceratinly appreciate the messages I get from reading your blog.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *