BootsnAll Travel Network



San Pedro de Atacama – Day 2 (Post #111)

Michele here…
On Monday, April 24th, we checked out of the hostel we stayed at for the first night in San Pedro and found another place to stay – cheaper and better. In the afternoon, we booked two tours. The first involved seeing the Valley of the Moon at sunset and visiting a few other places. This would start in the afternoon. The second excursion would be the next day starting at 4:00am when we would visit the world´s highest geiser field at 14,256 feet. Below are some photos from the Valley of the Moon tour.

This photo is from a view point looking at Cordillera de la Sal, an impressive bunch of mouintains sprinkled with salt and pushed up from under the ground.IMGP1200.JPG

Next stop was at the Valle de la Muerte (Valley of the Dead). This photo shows more of the interesting desert landscape of the area.
IMG_1038.JPG

Next we saw some formations called Las Tres Marias. The area around the formations is covered with salt. It is strange to see because it looks a lot like snow until you actually reach down and touch it.
IMGP1230.JPG

Finally, our last stop would take us to a giant sand dune that we had to climb in order to see the sunset over the Valley of the Moon. Here is a picture Mike took just as the sun was setting. Overall, the tour really highlighted the beautiful desert landscape of San Pedro.
IMG_1075.JPG

By the time we got home it was dark and we needed to go to bed early for our 4:00am pick up the next day so we bought empanadas fordinnerat a little store on the main street. We set our alarm for 3:15am and crashed.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *