BootsnAll Travel Network



Norway – The Fjords (Post #29)

Hi again! Michele here…we are still in Bergen, Norway today (Sunday, July 24th). I am just doing a quick post before checking on train and bus schedules. Today we got up early, made our breakfast, and left the hotel/hostel at 7:30am in order to catch an express ferry that would take us through part of Sognefjorden, Norway’s longest (204 km) and deepest fjord that cuts across western Norway. Once in the fjord, our express ferry met a slow ferry and Mike and I hopped from one boat to the other in order to go through Nærøyfjorden, one of the world’s narrowest fjords that will allow boats.

This narrow fjord had the most spectacular scenary. There were walls of rocks that went straight up out of the blue-green water, green hills with tiny villages, and waterfalls everywhere. Here are a few pictures.

We spent about 8 hours total on these two boats, ending up in the small town of Gudvangen – which was a wonder in itself. We left this small village by bus and went up a very narrow, twisty road to a hotel with a view of Gudvangen and the valley below. This is a picture Mike took from the back of the hotel.

We rode the bus for about an hour before arriving at the Voss train station. We then waited an hour before taking a train back to Bergen. Whew! What a day! And it was all so beautiful! I know I said in the last blog that I would upload photos but I will have to do it tomorrow since I need to look up some train schedules now.

See ya!

We love blog comments but if for some reason you want to say something to us more directly, please email us — mikeandmichelertw at hotmail dot com (appropriate punctuation changes will be required of course).



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *