BootsnAll Travel Network



Keflavik (the FIT Hostel Experience) (Post #12)

This is just a quick post to update our blog on our last night in Iceland.

On June 13th, we left Akureyri, Iceland (town up north) and flew back to Reykjavik. We walked to town to use the internet (which was our last post) and then we took a bus to Keflavik, the town closest to the international airport. We booked a hostel in advance called the FIT Hostel, which advertised that it was newly renovated and had a hot tub on the back deck. Well, we knew that sooner or later it would happen – when the bus dropped us off we found ourselves standing in front of a complete dive of a place located in the middle of an industrial area. Nothing seemed to work in this place and most everything that did work was “jerry-rigged” (not sure of spelling) – for example, an old electrical wire was holding up the shower curtin rod that held a shower curtain that was much too small. The shower head was non-existent so we used a hand-held thing where water came out. The kitchen contained appliances from the 1960s and I think that’s the last time the kitchen was cleaned – in 1960. What made the kitchen very nice indeed was the fact that there was no disposal so all the food was basically rotting in the garbage. We had a room next to the living room and kitchen which made it very loud also. We were wondering what was “newly renovated” and came to the conclusion that it was newly renovated alright – as in, only about 10% of the hostel was renovated and they were actually doing the renovations when we were there. You might expect that this hostel would be discounted because of its condition, but no, that was not the case and in fact, it was far enough from the airport that we had to take a taxi for about $20. We learned a lesson here. We should have just stayed in Reykjavik another night and then taken the bus to the airport in the morning. Oh well…

We love blog comments but if for some reason you want to say something to us more directly, please email us — mikeandmichelertw at hotmail dot com (appropriate punctuation changes will be required of course).



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *