BootsnAll Travel Network



Cuzco, Peru – Part I (Post #118)

Hi Michele here….

We arrived in Cuzco on May 7th and checked into our wonderful hostel, Piccola Locanda.  Months ago we had planned to do a 5 day hike once we got to Cuzco but, for a number of reasons (including plain ol´ lack of motivation), we ended up scraping this idea.  This left us with 7 nights in Cuzco and 1 night in Aguas Calientes (also known as Machu Picchu Pueblo).  Oh, what would we do with all this time? We read through the guide book and realized there was enough to do in and around Cuzco for a month so no worries about us getting bored.  Besides, would it kill us to not do something every minute of everyday?

The second day we were here we didn´t set the alarm and it felt great to sleep in.  Piccola Locanda Hostal has my favorite breakfast (lots of cookies and cake!) included in the price and glorious brewed (not instant) coffee. On this second day in Cuzco we walked around, took photos, and made arrangements for visiting Machu Pichu and other Inca ruins in what is known as the Sacred Valley. We knew from reading the guidebook that we were to buy the train tickets to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo) at one train station but depart for Machu Picchu from another train station. So, we walked to the train station where we were supposed to buy the tickets.  We saw a sign that indicated there were two types of trains going to Machu Picchu. The faster, super duper extremely expensive, Vistadrome (whatever that means) service and the slower super expensive Backpacker service.  The Vistadrome train was over $100 USD for a round trip ticket and the Backpacker train was $68 USD for a round trip ticket.  While this may not seem like a lot by European or U.S. standards, this is outrageously expensive for Peru – a country where you can travel all day for about $12.  Needless to say, we were in shock but paid $136 for both us to go from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes on Tuesday, May 9th and from Aguas Calientes to Cuzco on Wednesday, May 10th.

During our walk on the way back to the train station, we bought $20 tourist tickets.  The ticket entitles you to visit 16 places in and around Cuzco (including museums and art galleries) but it doesn´t include entrance to any of the churches around the main square (which is often what people want to see the most).  However, the ticket is necessary to see all of the inca ruins around Cuzco as well as those in the Sacred Valley. So, that´s the reason we bought the $20 tourist tickets (although later I dragged Mike to some art galleries where we used our tourist tickets to gain free entry. I have no doubt he really enjoyed looking at all of the 17th century oil paintings of Jesus, Mary, and every other biblical figure.) 

About Cuzco….Cuzco is a lively place with many museums, churches, restaurants, and bars.  This is a picture of the main square (Plaza de Armes) that I took from the roof of our hostal.

IMGP1765CC.JPG

The picture below is of the same plaza (Plaza de Armes) only this time we took the photo while standing in the plaza facing the main cathedral.

IMGP1773CC.JPG

In Cuzco, the streets and pedestrian alleyways are packed with souvenir shops but there are also many traditionally dressed people sitting on the sidewalks selling their own hand made crafts and this is where the better deals are to be found.  While wandering around the streets, I couldn´t resist taking a picture of this young boy with his baby lamb.  He was so cute and I´m such a sucker for the ol´ cute kid and baby animal combination.  He is one of a handful of children on the streets that don´t beg but rather ask if you´d like to take their photo. Then, once you take their photo, you should do the right thing and give them a tip. This situation is common in many of the poorer countries and I don´t mind giving a child a bit of money if he or she stands there and poses for a picture.  The going rate here in Peru is about $1 for a photo so that´s what I gave him and his lamb.     

IMGP2116crop.JPG 

After wandering around the town during our second day in Cuzco, I had a bit of a headache due to the altitude (about 11,000 feet) and Mike wasn´t feeling that good (sneezing and stuffy nose) so we took it easy in the afternoon.  At night we set out for traditional Peruvian food including chicha mirado (a non-carbonated purple corn drink we like) and cuy (guinea pig).  Here is a picture of Mike´s dinner just after the waiter brought it out.  Doesn´t that look…..uh….good?

IMGP1787.JPG

And yes, we´re afraid to say it, but it does taste like (dark meat) chicken.

At night we set the alarm for 4:30am in order to get up and take the train to Aguas Caliente (Machu Picchu Pueblo). For me, this would be one of the highlights of our trip as I have always wanted to see Machu Picchu.  Mike is next to me writing the blog about our visit there so stay tuned….

 



Tags:

0 responses to “Cuzco, Peru – Part I (Post #118)”

  1. Terry Ottina says:

    Hey Guys!

    I’m actively following your Peru posts. I’ll be there the first couple of weeks of September. I’m taking the 4 day hike of the Inca Trail and plan to spend 3 days in Cusco beforehand acclimating.

    I’m little disturb about your LanPeru experience. I haven’t made my Lima-Cusco arrangements yet, but I did read that you should get the first flight out because they’re constantly getting canceled. Unfortunately I need to get there by a certain time to make it through this hike. Ugh.

    Anyway, glad you guys are having fun. I’ll probably tackle you to get more details of your Peru experience!

    -Terry O.

  2. Mike says:

    Yum, the Guinea Pig looks good!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *