BootsnAll Travel Network



Copenhagen, Denmark (Post #18)

The last couple of days we’ve been in Copenhagen. It was smooth sailing getting here on the train but then we ran into problems. Not to be negative but here’s an example of what can happen when you are traveling to unfamiliar cities in other countries. We had a difficult travel day once before and another one on Saturday. Once we got off the train in Copenhagen, we were in search of an Internet cafe because we needed to access our hotmail account to get our hostel reservation information (yea, I know we should have done that before we arrived – trust me, we won’t forget to do this next time). We used the Lonely Planet guidebook that showed a place on the map in the book but we walked and walked and searched and searched and couldn’t find it. So, after giving up, we walked back to the train station to find the tourist information place. We found that and were told to go to an Internet cafe. O.k., fine, so Mike went to the Internet cafe while Michele collected brochures and information as to how to get to the hostel. The tourist information place gave out a pamphlet that had the bus no. and stop on it for what we would learn was our hostel. Meanwhile, Mike had to wait for a computer but eventually got on one. Then he gets the hostel information and Michele has the directions provided by the tourist office. We search for bus no. 30. We find the stop and see that we have to wait almost an hour for the next one. Fine, we go into the train station and walk around. And we have our 32 pound packs on this whole time.


When the time gets near we go to the bus stop and see there are two bus stops with number 30. We looked at the time table for the wrong one. So, we look at the time table for the right one. That one left 30 minutes ago and we now have to wait 15 more minutes. We finally get on the bus and know which stop is ours because it is indicated on the directions to our hostel provided by the tourist office. Well, the information was wrong and we got off 2 stops too late and had to walk back 2 bus stops to get to our hostel. We finally arrived 5 hours after we got off the train. When we went to our rooms, one of the beds had food in it, and one was full of sand. We got that fixed by the staff. By this time, no grocery stores were open so we ate food for dinner we already had in our packs – an apple, potato chips, peanut butter and some bread. When we sat down and were able to take off our packs, Michele says, “I am willing to spend an extra 10,000 dollars on this trip just so we can stay in nicer places that are in the city!” But of course this is like saying, “I feel awful! I am never running a 50 mile race again!” The next day everything was fine and we went out to explore the city.

We walked (yes, on purpose) for 10 hours all over Copenhagen. The weather was perfect (sunny and 68 degrees). One thing we did was walk up the staircase at Vor Frelsers Kirke (church). One of us could not complete the climb past the half way point since the staircase moved from inside the spiral tower to around the outside of the spiral tower. The other one of us was very excited, loves heights, and was running past other people to get to the very, very top. Here is a picture from the top of the church spiral.

We also visted a place called Christiania. This is a place that was totally different. When you walked through the archway it was a total shock. In the early 1970s the people of Christiania broke into abandoned barracks and lived in buildings paying no rent or taxes. Util 2004, it was a Danish “social experiment” where the government agreed to let people live in a alternative ghetto with its own commercial life, plitical structure, education system, radio station, music and social scene. It was also famous for the open use of drugs. In 2004, the police stormed the area and the old Christiania is no more. There are still alternative lifestyle people living there and there is interesting (artistic) grafitti on nearly every building. Pictures were not allowed there.

Hans Christian Andersen’s image is everywhere here since he was born in Denmark and would be 200 years old this year. Here is the famous statue of the Little Mermaid (many of you probably know the Little Mermaid fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen).

One last picture of the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace.

We love blog comments but if for some reason you want to say something to us more directly, please email us — mikeandmichelertw at hotmail dot com (appropriate punctuation changes will be required of course).



Tags:

3 responses to “Copenhagen, Denmark (Post #18)”

  1. BJ says:

    Your pictures are wonderful and it’s really exciting to keep up with you two this way. I thought it was time that you know I’m keeping up with you — at least once a week. You continue to have a wonderful time and publish those pictures so that we can vicariously enjoy this trip around the world. Bj

  2. Kathy Priddy says:

    The picture from the top of the church was wonderful. Copenhagen looks to be a very beautiful, clean, orderly city. I esp. liked all the red rooftops!
    Kathy

  3. Jeff Washburn says:

    I thought I should let you know that I was living your adventure vicariously. Keep sending in the reports as I am enjoying traveling the world with you both and traveling the Pacific Crest Trail with Horton. What a great year this is becoming. Continue to have a great adventure.

  4. Mike says:

    Hey Guys!!

    Sounds like you are having a blast! Amsterdam, I can’t wait to hear the unedited version, not that it would be a bad thing. Happy travels and until next time,

    Mike

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *