BootsnAll Travel Network



For Ape, a night of Florentine clubs and adventure

We arrived like superstars. One of the managers greeted us at the door, welcomed us, made us all VIP, gave us free shots and offered us a one Euro discount for every additional drink we would want. It was pretty glamorous I’m not gonna lie. Its one of those cases when u arrive at a place, stroll in and all eyes wander to you and your friends. For a brief moment all is good in the world. This is the reception being an American can offer you when u enter a Florentine dance club. The Euro may be worth more, but the dollar is still king.

The clientele of the club was mostly semi-drunk American college students and Italian men and women who were there to take advantage of their visitors. I don’t mean to attach “take advantage” with a negative connotation, as that is not always the case, but it is not infrequent either.

The girls in our party had not even stepped on the dance floor when there were Italian men all over them, dazzling their alcohol disoriented minds with a soft Italian accent, and being notably aggressive to make sure their prize would not escape. It took a good pull from Kate and I both to get Liz back from her dance partner.

Much to my disappointment I was not approached, harassed, and cooed to in an Italian accent, as the bar did not cater to my “scene,” aka: my people. The dancing was fun, overcrowded, a bit sweaty, but that is everyday life in Florence. No one escapes the summer sweat and grossness, especially in un refrigerated apartments. It is, however, less warm and humid than Manhattan was last Monday.

Ok, back to the club, the situation will be fixed as soon as I can get people to go with me to a Florentine gay bar. Apparently the scene here is vibrant, especially for a city its size, but alas Florence has seemed everything but gay to me. But yeah, I NEED to go to a gay club. This anomaly of not getting noticed even once freaked me out. Sure I complain about the occasional molestation at the OP, but Edgar likes his attention. A gay club should do the trick. I mean every time I’d give someone “the look” they’d move their eye’s to Kate’s breast instead. I cannot compete with such wonderful teats. Le Sigh
Chris and I have decided to ask the Director of NYU in Florence, the ever amusing and we believe gay himself Eric Canny(ie). He gives us directions to grocery stores, internet cafes, we figure, why not gay bars? Maybe he’d like to come along.
In any event, Chris and I have decided to go to London in a few weekends, stay in the SoHo area and experience gay London together. This will probably happen at the beginning of October.
It must be said that Edgar and Chris are pretty much the best roommates ever. We cook up a culinary storm every night. Yesterday for example we fed ourselves spinach and ricotta tortellini, with a tomato and provolone sauce, with grilled chicken house salad we made for ourselves. We are pretty awesome!

Today is the fist day of school, but I don’t have class until 6 this evening. It’s my Italian class that I’m super excited about. I hope my teacher is like Lucia, or else I might transfer out and get into her class. She is pretty much an Italian language goddess. Oh, I will have school supplies for my books! After initially forgetting the fact I came to Florence, to study abroad, study being the key term here, Chris and I found a 99 cent store, where true to US style, the dollar (Euro) store didn’t disappoint. I got 4 colorful little girl notebooks. One, I think, has a purple dinosaur with little floating fairies, or something like that. I’m set for NYU today! heck yes! I also bought pens, pencils, and a bright belt I thought was pretty funny.

Oh, I’ve been shopping a little bit! Or maybe a bit more than a little bit, but so as to keep the parentals from getting upset, I won’t go into much detail. Lets just say that European jeans fit better, new messenger bags are never a bad thing, and LEATHER is awesome. That is all.
Damn Americans have a ton of disposable income.

Oh and LOL, I got a call the other night at 2:30 in the morning from American Eagle in El Paso asking if I wanted to pick up some hours. I laughed…kinda made fun of Zenia and hung up. I thought I’d made my exit clear to everyone…guess not, or Zenia is just dumb.

Peace, Spice, and Adventure,
-Edgar



Tags:

One Response to “For Ape, a night of Florentine clubs and adventure”

  1. April Says:

    are the italian men who frequent the clubs at least hot?
    this entry starts without a title, and i found myself a little lost. but, it seems like the club scene is lively. you must try some of the european liquor, some of them will be nasty, but it will be an experience. i found most to taste woodsy with a heavy note of herb. they like their herbs a lot.
    and your dinners sound delish! i can only hope my (new) george foreman grill will make me proud. so far, i have made panini, and it has been good. but i yearn to one day make a creation as good and scrumptious as your’s.

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply