BootsnAll Travel Network



My First Day: A Snap Shot

After a series of close calls – having my passport go MIA with the US postal service, getting stuck in dead-locked traffic on the drive to New York’s JFK, and almost missing my connection in Brussels, I landed in Monrovia today – June 20th – sometime around 6pm.

Upon landing, the UN helicopters and planes – big white aircrafts with the simple letters UN printed in black – stick out against a green, rainy background. As I walk from the airplane, a Liberian restaurant owner who I met at JFK pointed out to me that the burned out building to the left is the old airport that was burned down during the war. The charred frame still stands just meters away from the newer facility. The realization that I am entering a post-conflict country finally strikes me.

When I enter the airport, I am immediately greeted by an airport officer holding a sign that closely resembles my name. He escorts me into a side office that is a bit cramped with three work stations. Everyone in the room seems to know who I am. At one point I am referred to as “the guest of the President” – I can’t believe it!! As they look through my passport and make calls in regards to my visa, a cell phone is handed to me. “Hello Desiree, this is commissioner such and such, we have been expecting you – welcome. We will take care of your visa and your ride should be awaiting you outside”.

After collecting my luggage, I am driven the half hour from Robert’s Field airport into Monrovia. During the drive it is announced on the radio that the timber embargo on Liberia has been lifted. (The UN placed an embargo on the export of timber and diamonds from Liberia because revenue from these sectors was used to fuel the civil war.) Working with the UN to lift these sanctions has been a priority for the new government as a means toward reviving the economy and bringing much needed investment and revenue into the country. As I listen to the announcement, and the excited reactions of those riding along with me, I realize that I am not simply in a “post-conflict” country, but a country in transition – a country trying to rebuild, literally and figuratively.

When we arrive at the guest home where I will be staying, it is brought to my attention that it is owned by one of the President’s assistants and is located across the road from the President herself. Later that night, in a very embarrassing moment with me rendered semi-speechless, I meet the Madame in her kitchen and sit with her and several others at dinner.

After dinner, I go to bed, my head swimming with the excitement of meeting the President on the first night. I am not sure exactly where my work will fit into this country’s transition, but I do know that I will surely get more out of this experience than I could possibly give back.



Tags:

One Response to “My First Day: A Snap Shot”

  1. BootsnAll Crew Says:

    Hi, this is a sample comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts’ comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply