BootsnAll Travel Network



Frustration/Skepticism

July 11,

When you work in “development” you eventually reach a point when you become quite skeptical of the whole system. After three weeks – I have reached that wall of skepticism.

Imagine Monrovia, a city of a million people, dilapidated buildings, insufficient school systems, abject poverty, no sewage or water system, and no electricity. These challenges in the city are only dwarfed by the more depressed circumstances in rural areas. While the challenges seem endless – so do the available resources. As I move through the city I am amazed at the number of international agency SUVs that are on the road. There are hundreds. Then you enter “Mamba Point” the unofficially designated international agency neighborhood. There is every agency there from the ARC (American Refugee Committee) to UNICEF. Each agency has several departments, each department has a budget and a number of personnel assigned to that designated task. I can’t help but wonder how it is that with the amount of US dollars, and international expertise that has descended upon Liberia in this post-conflict period, how it is that things are not moving forward more efficiently.

Moving beyond the larger question of effective management and implementation of multi-faceted resources, is the less straightforward question: How can Liberians become fully integrated participants and managers of their own recovery? Granted, asking this question is not to say that Liberians are not at the helm – in fact they are, particularly in the public sector. But I wonder to what extent the international contributors are able to integrate Liberians as full participants, and to what extent the geo-political power-dynamic between Developed and Developing Nations plays out on the ground between imported expert practitioners and local workers. This is something that I hope to learn more about as the time moves on.

Recognizing myself as an imported practitioner, I am often not sure how to feel about the privilege I am lent simply because of my nationality and Harvard status. Because of my status, I have access to the international community and their lifestyle: After-work dinners at local restaurants; weekend beach trips; pool-side dinners/parties; air-conditioned cars, offices and bedrooms; running water; and enough disposable income to only drink bottled water. While I appreciate these comforts – they are a constant reminder of my privileged existence, something that I am not always comfortable with or quite sure how to handle well. Will my efforts from my air-conditioned bubble truly “trickle” out and change the lives of the young men with missing limbs who beg at my car window. Will my work with SMEs truly enable market women to become profitable businesswomen who can take care of themselves and employ others?

I have no misconceptions about what can be done in 2 months, and I am fully aware of the limitations of my work. I guess I wonder to what extent my limitations are systemic, meaning that the hundreds of other imported practitioners like me, who come for a time and spin their wheels, to what extent is our work limited. How do we effectively bridge the gap between the official meetings and typed reports and the reality of those who we work on behalf of? How do we get to a tipping point where Liberia moves forward aggressively, surpassing the imposed limitations of lists and lists of challenges? Am I simply suffering from impatience, or is it that in the world of development we have become complacent, accepting the lack of efficiency and celebrating marginal improvements as success when we know that much more is necessary and possible?



Tags:

4 Responses to “Frustration/Skepticism”

  1. SZainab Says:

    Dosi!

    Glad to hear you are growing! In my time here at AFG, I am grown sceptical of the work of the billion dollar international NGOs, the big names in post conflict. My heart is really heavy with what I hear about, what I observe…. I hope we learn from these expeirences and make a difference when it is our turn to perform. Keep me posted!

  2. Posted from Afghanistan Afghanistan
  3. Andress Says:

    Hey Desiree:

    It is great to hear from you. It sounds like you are having a tremendous experience. Having worked in a post-conflict situation for over two years, I sympathize greatly with your observations and frustrations. You are extremely privelegded to be up close and personal with the seat of power. I suspect that your work with the private sector will allow you to make an “in” with non-official locals as well. In my experience, there is so much to be learned from what business people (from market merchants to major exporters) have to say. The only challenged is that it takes time to gain enough trust to be privy to the beat of the streets.

    Best of luck and keep the updates coming,
    Andress

  4. Sarah-Catherine Says:

    What you describe in your frustrations of development are critical and something I have been witnessing as international organizations are going in to develop Darfur and the South. It seems that in some ways organizations are competing for the best solution rather than taking the lead from the locals who have lived there hundreds of years. In this situation, the cultural subtleties are crucial and something I am not sure the int’l community is understanding well. How is that being dealt with on your end? I am also curious (to the extent you can speak about it) about the President’s control and role in the development that is going on. Also, I am curious what kinds of immediate changes she wants to see happen the most in her first few years.

    BTW, I LOVED reading your blogs. Your descriptions transport me to Liberia, and your passions for the country especially come through. Look forward to more.

    SC

  5. Helaine Daniels Says:

    Desiree,
    I hear you loudly and clearly. And, I understand, having spent all of my adult life interfacing with the continent of Africa, West Africa, in particular. I came to the KSG in 2001 after having spent 5 years in West Africa: Nigeria, Cote d-Ivoire and Mali.

    Just thought it might be helpful for you to know that I hear the spoken and unspoken.

    We shall spend time together on your return.
    Courage, my Sister!!!!!!!
    Helaine

  6. Celina Says:

    Dosi:

    Thank you for making us a part of your experience. I too have struggled with some of the questions you and other posters have brought up. Though I do not necessarily have answers to offer, your self-reflection and awareness of your role and position are an important step in finding them. In this department, like in many others, you are unique and I trust you will find unique answers as a result.

    I find that being present in your work (in general), in the day to day and focusing less on the bigger picture may allow you to have a greater impact and appreciation for the reality Liberians live.

    The big picture, though, is important and if your only contribution to Liberia is educating all of us then I believe it will have been a tremendous one. Every anecdote, observation, and lived experience have served to illustrate the human experience that I have little access to, and that is what stays with me, and that is what I will share with my own network and community.

    Thank you and keep on writing!

    Much love,

    Celina

Leave a Reply