BootsnAll Travel Network



Yuyuan Garden and Bazaar

Yuyuan garden is in the heart of Shanghai’s Old Town just south of the Bund.  This amazing garden and the surrounding buildings have been restored and turned into a bustling shopping area, Yuyuan bazaar, full of stores and food vendors.  It’s absolutely packed during the week, so I can’t imagine what it’s like on the weekend.  In the future this area might be all that’s left to remind Shanghai of its Old Town heritage, a kitch mall complete with Starbucks and McDonald’s dressed up in the past. 

The garden is definately the highlight here.  As if the Classic Chinese garden architecture weren’t enjoyable enough, Yuyuan has huge craggy boulders dispersed throughout the grounds.  These clay-like boulders, some 15meters tall provide a natural counter balance to intricately designed halls and pavilions.  Quarried in nearby Zhejiang province to the south, they were transported to Shanghai in the 16th century where archetect Zhang Nan-yang created a diverse blend of tunnels, caves, a stone hills amid the buildings and koi ponds.

Don’t let the crowds discourage a lengthy stay in this beautiful setting.  The flag following tour groups come in waves, so make sure to catch a ten minute window of tranquility to soak up some zen.  I recommend at least two full walks through the garden.  A map isn’t provided so consult the one at the entrance a couple times to familiarized yourself with the grounds.  The exit is precariously located halfway through the garden so make sure you see everything before leaving.  In the quiet northeast corner there is a stone staircase leading up to Xuepu study.  From here you can peer over the wall and see the skyscrapers of Pudong.  At one time it was possible to see the boats floating down the Huangpu from here.  I got lost in my thoughts here and ended up napping for 45 minutes, just like the monks used to do I suppose.  This is one of Shanghai’s highlights.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *