BootsnAll Travel Network



The slow boat to Shanghai

Leaving Japan by ship is a beautiful experience.  From Osaka the ferry heads west into the inland sea passing under the Akashi Kaikyo bridge, the world’s largest.  From there you just follow the sinking sun.

 

There are hardly any people on the boat.  I’ve made buddies with the two young Japanese guys in my room and a Russian guy named Alex.  I’m exhausted from my smoky night in the internet cafe and sleep most of the afternoon away.  There is a Korean guy who’s lived in Japan his entire life, but makes sure everyone is clear about his citizenship.

There are hardly any people on the boat.  I’ve made buddies with the two young Japanese guys in my room and a Russian guy named Alex.  I’m exhausted from my smoky night in the internet cafe and sleep most of the afternoon away.  There is a Korean guy who’s lived in Japan his entire life, but makes sure everyone is clear about his citizenship.”My family was taken to Japan by force by the Japanese Imperial army,” is how he introduced himself.  I got it.  He obviously doesn’t hang out with the Japanese crowd and sticks close by a Tawainese man who has been constantly drunk since the minute he climbed aboard. 

On the first morning I wake up in time to see the crimson sun rising over the last visible bits of Kyushu.  I watched Japan fade out of sight and realized I was heading into open waters for the first time.  No visible land.

The day passes with ping-pong, cards, reading, and more cards at night.  I buddy up to a group of young girls who are all traveling to Shanghai solo.  They are all students and represent NE Asia being from Japan, Korea and China.  Alex, Ryu, Yoshi and I play cards with them until 3am. 

 

The trip takes two days but it feels like one.  On the second morning the ship is already charging down the Huangpu River past barges and cranes.  With the time change it’s about 8:30 when the massive skyline of Shanghai’s new Pudong district emerges from the morning mist.  This is an incredible way to enter this city.  

 

  



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *