BootsnAll Travel Network



Shanghai’s urban plan

 

In the middle of the People’s Square sits the Urban Planning Exhibition Hall, an interactive look into the future of Shanghai.  This six story building is part museum, part giant city model, and part urban planning presentation offering every detail into how this ambitious task is going to unfold. 

 

The fourth floor contains a massive model of the greater Shanghai area, complete with the buildings and bridges slated for construction.  On the same floor is a 360 degree movie theater that takes you on a 3-D tour of the Shanghai of the future. 

 

As you climb higher the displays provide more and more information, all the way down to the specific plans of each neighborhood in the city.  Port town, auto town, suburban town, research & development town; it appears that there will someday exist a pilot neighborhood for every conceivable need.  One neighborhood called Luodian is planned to become a nordic inspired development with a population of 30,000.  It’s that specific. 

The exhibit is a new urban developer’s dream come true, with mixed use galore, plenty of greenspace (40% by 2020), and the most state-of-the-art transportation the world has to offer.  Shanghai is the proud owner of the fastest train on earth, a magnetic levitation marvel that whizzes at 430km/hour from the subway to the airport.  In three years the Shanghai to Beijing leg will be complete.

The place is incredible and makes me excited to think about the vision this city has for itself.  Shanghai and the rest of China’s cities are lucky that they can reshape themselves for the modern world without suffering through the trials and errors of Western cities.  Although Shanghai has always been a city of global importance, it is now set to become a global city in its own right.



Tags: ,

0 responses to “Shanghai’s urban plan”

  1. lisa riversong says:

    hi dan- it’s gloria’s other daughter, lisa. wonderful blog. are you travelling soon with my mom or have i missed the itinerary? looking forward to hear from you. peace- lisa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *