BootsnAll Travel Network



Elementary ashtrays make the perfect gift

Japan doesn’t need Joe Camel or the Marlboro Man. These blatant methods used in the past to lure the youth to smoking are nothing compared to the subtle ease of the habit in this country. While the U.S., Canada, and other developed nations are kicking smokers to the curb, literally, Japan remains a refuge for smokers.

Cigarette vending machines are everywhere, ensuring easy access to all ages. In my schools there are no smoking signs everywhere, but over fifty percent of the male teachers head to the obvious smoking room between, or during, classes. Why is it obvious? It’s the door that reeks and has a billow of smoke emanating from it. Some administrators are more brazen. One principal sneaks out behind the gym to puff, and another vice principal doesn’t seem to care at all and smokes openly outside the teacher’s room.

It shouldn’t have come as a surprise today when I stumbled across the latest arts and crafts projects the sixth graders are working on: ashtrays. They’re making them from the bottoms of aluminum cans, where the can’s sides are cut and braided in beautiful origami fashion to form a perfect resting spot for your burning vice. They look a lot better than the makeshift trays made from half a beer can back in college.

It’s not all doom and gloom for the lungs of Japan, however. As of May last year there have been a series of laws passed about smoking in public places like restaurants and stores. In the future I see organizations that put pressure to ban smoking facing an uphill battle. Smokers make up the power center of this country, and the pervasive attitude of smoking as “the way things are” will be hard to break.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *