BootsnAll Travel Network



Central Mongolia, Day Six

The nomads are on the move. The springtime is plagued by dusty winds and we’ve found many ger camps huddled in drainages and near rocky outcroppoings for protection. In the summer the camp moves about 5km down the lakeside and when we wake up the carts are packed up and ready to go.

From this point in the trip we’re pretty much retracing our steps back to U.B. Shaga cruises down to Tsetserleg and blows a shoe spring on the drum brakes. Being the awesome driver he is, it’s changed in 45 minutes. We get to Kharakhorum, the ancient Mongol capital with enough time to wander around its dusty streets and play some pool with the local high school kids.At night we’re treated to a Mongolian folk concert. The most traditional instrument is the Morin Khuur, a boxy two-stringed bow instrument with a horse head on top. Other instruments he use can be found in China, Korea, and Japan as well, although he claims their design can be traced back to his homeland. The most unique aspect of music here is the tonal throat singing that resonates from the lungs, mouth, and nasal cavity, creating a two-toned harmony that is both beautiful and haunting. The show is a great finish to our trip, and so is the bottle of vodka we polish off afterward.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *