BootsnAll Travel Network



Best Hostels in Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia

Ulaan Baatar has no shortage of places to stay. The city has seen a boom in guesthouses and hostels since the fall of communist rule. I’ve narrowed down my top picks based on what I’ve heard and the places I’ve stayed or visited. Here’s my top four picks:
Golden Gobi Guesthouse

This is where I stay. The warmest atmosphere of any hostel I’ve ever stayed. Great family run place which also offers excellent tours. The location couldn’t be better. It’s right in the center of U.B. next door to the State Department store which has the biggest grocery store. Great place!!!

Nassan Tour & Guesthouse

This is U.B.’s first guesthouse and tour company. I met Nassan and she’s a lovely woman. The rooms here are simple but nice, right in the city center. Read Nassan’s comment book and you’ll know it’s a caring place. I really want to meet her mother because every comment includes a thank you to her. Sounds like a character.

 

 

Idre’s Guesthouse This is another highly experienced tour organizer that has been around for ages. Idre is the uncle of the Golden Gobi owners and these places enjoy a close relationship. If a tour doesn’t come together because of a lack of people these two companies join forces to make things work.
Bolod’s Tours & Guesthouse Heard good things. You can’t stay anywhere more centrally located, right across from Sukhbataar Square.

I’ve chosen these four because they all are Mongolian owned, are on amicable terms with each other, and have the longest tour experience in Mongolia.

The UB Guesthouse is a popular place but travelers should be wary of this place for ethical reasons. I’m not going to get into the sordid details, but have heard that their staff have harassed and intimidated other guesthouse staff at the station. There have also been reports of violence and police bribes being giving to prevent prosecution. Please support the Mongolian companies that compete fairly. Feel free to contact me for more information about this matter.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Best Hostels in Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia”

  1. […] These come in all shapes and sizes.  It’s possible to book online with a big, expensive tour operator, have an airport pickup, and stay in a tourist yurt camp, but this isn’t the best way to see the country.  I recommend one of the many guesthouses in Ulaan Baatar.  See my suggestions here.  The Golden Gobi was a great resource for me and is one of my favorite guesthouses. […]

  2. Shaun Apple says:

    I want to go there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *