BootsnAll Travel Network



Sunny Acapulco! – August 29, 2006

We moved on to Acapulco, more because it was on the way than because we wanted to spend any time there.  The guides warned us that it was an overgrown resort town that outgrew itself decades ago, but we were still amazed at the size.  Looking down into the valley from the mountains approaching town, it seemed to go on forever.  What’s more, we had no plan to do anything there even though we’d be there for at least a night, so we really didn’t know where to go.  Of course we got lost for a while, got run off the street by some crazy taxi drivers, and turned down some one-way streets – normal stuff.  But we finally hatched a plan to go see the famous Acapulco cliff divers, and found a cheap, clean hotel room nearby.  $14 a night left plenty of room for dinner and treating ourselves, so we were super happy.

We checked in, walked a few blocks to the cliffs and waited for the show.  It started drizzling which made photos tough, but the five divers put on quite a show for $3.  Each one strutted into the viewing area, greeted the crowd in true Mexican machismo style, then jumped down into the water 20 feet below.  They climbed up the cliffs facing us, about 40 – 50 feet – no ladders or ropes – just them and the cliff, and prayed for safety at an alter near the top.  Then, one by one, or in tandem, they dove into a tidal pool only about 20 feet across below with waves rolling in and crashing on the rocks.  The crowd went wild and the divers were even more proud when they climbed back up to see their fans and pose for photos.

The rain didn’t stop and we eventually found out why – Hurricane John had neared shore and was about 100 miles directly south of us.  I was so scared we would be stuck in this awful town but we checked the reports and found out we would be missing the brunt of the storm as we moved west.  After some pizza and internet we called it a night to get on the road early the next morning.  The highlight of our visit to Acapulco was actually stopping at Super WalMart on the way out to load up on supplies.  Jenny picked up some magazines she hadn’t seen since we were in the states-which made her a happy wife.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *