BootsnAll Travel Network



Raglan – February 14, 2007

Driving back through Auckland and South towards the West coast, we felt like we were getting into the real New Zealand – surf, mountains, volcanoes and endless adventure activities. We knew little about our next stop, Raglan, other than the fact that it was home to a famous surf break featured in the movie The Endless Summer. Since we would be stuck there for our first married Valentine’s Day, we hoped for the best. Luckily, it did not disappoint. As soon as we descended the main drive leading into the city and down the main street, we were struck by the quaitness and character of the isolated town. Turn of the century houses, buildings and hotels mixed with just a touch of more modern dining, construction and “beachiness”. We settled into a quiet 19th century hotel that reminded us a lot of Casa Marina where we were married, huge magical keys with the doorknobs at chest level. With about 4 hours until sunset we got directions to the main beach from the receptionist and we were off (in our “so Un-Automatic car”) to get a little surf and sun before dinner.

Wainui Beach at Raglan was right out of our “if I could design the perfect beach” ideas, as far as public beaches go. An adequate sized and free parking lot with clean, modern toilet facilities sat on a cliff-top bluff overlooking the ocean. A winding footpath led to the expansive hard packed, black sand that stretched as far as you could need in one direction and about a quarter mile in the other to a cliff-framed cove. People, though not too many, played, sunbathed, swam and surfed the gentle waves. A class of school kids participated in activities further down. The lifeguard tower broadcast the latest Jack Johnson album to create the relaxing mood. And yes, dogs played. Specifically, “Salty” an energetic 16 yr old black lab speckled with grey stubble around his mouth. He hikes down the hill everyday to enjoy the beach. It wasn’t just a beach, it was a community loving the beach. It was beautiful. We stayed as long as we could until the sun gave way to the night’s cold, long enough to get in a few waves, a little tint and some much needed dog petting time.

We found a great little café for dinner with fresh food, local beer (Nelson, NZ’s Mac’s Gold recommended) and wine, and terrific local art on the walls. Excited to be out of the grocery store, I had a burrito and Jenny had some yellow curry. We topped of the night with a 75 cent scoop of ice cream and walked down the street to our hotel. Our gift exchange was modest – we exchanged homemade cards, I got Jenny some fitness magazines and tea (so I messed up and bought a women’s bodybuilding magazine) and she got me more of my favorite gourmet cookies (death by chocolate rum raisin) – but it felt special just to celebrate the day with each other this far away from home. It struck us that the Kiwis didn’t seem to be going all out for Valentine’s Day like we were accustomed to back home. In fact, there was no pink and red transformation at the stores, no bombardment of jewelry ads nor was there candy at every turn. Hardly a mention of the V Day other than some couples out enjoying dinner together or with friends. It was refreshing in some respects but we still vowed to spoil each other a bit more next year if we’re able.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *