BootsnAll Travel Network



Mazunte Eco Lodge

On our way out of town, we stopped at the local market and picked up a few things. Finally ripping ourselves away from the comforts of Puerto Escondito we moved on to Zipolite.  We had read it was a small but active backpacker community with great beaches, waves and atmosphere, so a few days of simple, cheap living would be a welcome change.  Unfortunately we found an empty village of beachfront shacks with a few half-open restaurants and no waves.  Just North of Zipolite, however, sits Mazunte, another small oceanfront community growing steadily with an influx of European ex-patriats.  Although far from being a tourist town, it has a nice little selection of restaurants and lodging as a result.  High up in the Headland Mountains we found an Eco-lodge to stay in for the night with an amazing view of the ocean and the town.  The lodge relies entirely on solar power and stored water, so provisions were sparse, but the view and ocean breeze made up for it.  Also, the place was run by a resourceful French couple that enjoyed cooking for the guests and sharing travel advice.

After pre-ordering our custom-made dinner for the night, we hiked down to the beach for a refreshing swim then around the headland to a secluded point and another beach to watch the sunset.  A tight trail through the woods eventually opened up to dramatic cliffs covered with grass and cacti.  The view was truly amazing.  There were also some donkeys and horses grazing in the wild which was really cool (the donkeys had somehow gotten loose from being tied to something nowhere near here and had for some reason come to this magnificent spot with ropes still dragging tree limbs).  The donkeys were spooked at first but finally let us get close enough for some shots.  After the sunset we hiked back for a great family style dinner at the lodge and shared stories with the French hosts, some travelers from France and an Australia journalist.  We were a bit sad since we thought our travel through Mexico was almost over but we had no idea about the week to come.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *