BootsnAll Travel Network



Sailing the Whitsundays – Ohh Argh Me Hearties!

361097487_143fef265b_m.jpg361098464_1a0e227c94_m.jpg361098257_3d2ae85ebb_m.jpg361098748_65c5ccc508_m.jpg

18th January 2007

We boarded the Ileola, a 60-foot, three-masted schooner, built in 1952 carrying plenty of history and charm. The ileola has covered over 600,000 sea miles and competed in numerous ocean races including the Sydney-Hobart race.

We chose the ileola for numerous reasons…..we both wanted to be on a sailing boat, we both wanted a chilled experience not one of the party boats, we both wanted a more personal boat (the ileola carries 12 passengers whereas some carry up to 40) and some might say the main reason it was the only boat which published the three day menu which included three course meals and chocolate cake!!! The company is run by an Italian, Massimo, who has always been in the restaurant business and prepares the pasta sauces from scratch. The food lived every bit up to our expectations …it was truly delicious.

Our fellow passengers included Sue and Tom from Ireland, Matt, Phena (who got engaged on board the Ileola), Chris and Lizzie from England/Australia, Todd and American, and Bronwyn, Russ and Andy from Wiltshire. The crew consisted of the Skipper Tony and the Deckie Geoff.

As no one else was forthcoming at Tony’s offer to sail the first stretch I took the helm whilst Chris got aquainted with the others on the boat. The first day (well all of them really) was spent
lounging, chatting, eating, snorkelling and in Chris’s case playing Texas Hold-em poker….a life we grew accustomed too very quickly! The snorkelling was great fun giving rise to our first sightings of turtles which were not at all bothered by us allowing us to get very close. At night we could see small reef sharks splashing around at the stern of the boat.

In order to secure our place on the Ileola Chris and I had to forgo a double cabin which proved to be a blessing as we decided to sleep on the deck underneath the stars with Tony and Geoff (but sadly not clutching that bottle of Jim Beam, Pete!). The next morning we woke to find that although we went to sleep with four of us on the deck there were now at least nine of us on deck! Apparently the cabins were so warm it was unbearable so during the night the others made there way up on deck.

The second morning of the trip was the headlining act -a trip to Whitehaven beach. Whitehaven Beach is almost 6km long and consists of a very fine dazzling white sand that is 98% pure Silica! It really is a picture postcard scene! The beach is fringed by brilliant blue water and lush tropical island, is one of the jewels of the Whitsundays and recognised as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

After a trip to a look-out over the beach we retreated to the beach and all made a beeline for the water….but not before we put on our much advised stinger suits! Stinger suits are pretty much like the bodysuit I used to wear when I was swimming but with a hood and mittens. They are much needed at this time of year as the box jellyfish, along with many other types, are rife….and believe me you don’t want to get stung by one of those babies. You have virtually no chance of surviving the venomous sting, unless treated immediately. The pain is so excruciating and overwhelming that you would most likely go into shock and drown before reaching the shore. So with that in mind it was never a question of whether we should or should not wear the suit. The suit was also a stark reminder that it may look like paradise from the beach but you simply do not know what lurks beneath the water…but was that going to stop us – was it heck!

After three glorious we were very sad to say goodbye to the Ileola and the wonderful Whitsundays but not for the first time this trip very much looking forward to a proper shower and a nice bed.



Tags: , , , ,

-1 responses to “Sailing the Whitsundays – Ohh Argh Me Hearties!”

  1. Karen says:

    Hi
    That sounded dream like! However as I look out of my window at the heavy rain I am about to endure as I go and fetch the boys from Nursery before heading off to work I’m soon brought back to reality. Oh for a bit of sunshine and a little less wind!
    Glad you are having so much fun
    Love to you both
    K

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *