BootsnAll Travel Network



Nha Trang: We just can’t keep away from the beach…..or the bathroom!

14 March 2007

Looking for some serious R&R after a hectic final week in Cambodia and the hustle and bustle of Saigon we headed North on the overnight bus. We had very little planned for Nha Trang except lazing on the beach, reading our books and enjoying the seafood. So that is pretty much what we did….although admittedly that does not make for a very interesting blog!

nha.jpg

On our first night in Nha Trang we decided to forget about our meal budget and both ordered the seafood platter which included clams, scallops, mussels, snapper and king prawns and a bottle of wine to wash it all down. Wine is something we have not really drunk much of in Asia, so it was a real treat to have a nice cold bottle with our meal. Having whet our taste buds we headed to ‘Crazy Kim’s’ bar. We had read about Crazy Kim in the LP which explained Crazy Kim has launched a program to help protect Vietnamese children in Nha Trang against pedophilia. As most people are aware the sex trade in SE Asia is a huge business but tragically the business also extends to children. Nearly every tourist brochure we have picked up on our travel through SE Asia has and advert aimed at the prevention on pedophilia; providing a phone number to report anyone suspected of pedophilia. From what we read Kim has made it her mission to stop the abuse of children and has even resorted to knocking down hotel doors to stop such acts. Part of the profits from the bar (and gym) goes towards the protection of such children. Tourists are also invited to help out with English lessons at the school Kim has put in place for the abused. Having looked at the register and noticed it had its full quota of volunteers for the following day the only thing left for us to do was make sure we bought drinks…..and plenty of them!

Several Mojitos later we headed to Nha Trang Sailing Club, which is ‘the’ after hours place to be in Nha Trang, for a couple of jam jars and to bust a few moves on the dance floor! (yes – we were able to still move despite the Mojitos! – although I am not sure it was very co-ordinated movement!) Having tried to recreate every dance move known to man – including the robot resurrected by Peter Crouch and the much loved ‘running-man’ (which for some reason will always remind me of school discos!) we decided it was time to call it a night.

us.jpg

The next day was painful but we soldiered onto the beach where we remained until we could find a window in the hangover to move.

Feeling rejuvenated on our third day in Nha Trang we headed out on a day boat-trip to the surrounding Islands. It was on this trip that we met up with Max (a 60 year old Aussie) and his girlfriend Melinda. The day was spent snorkelling, eating, drinking and having fun (spot the theme?). After lunch the crew of our boat invited the passengers to join them in Karoake. Now there must have been at least 50 passengers on that boat and the only ones to get up were the Aussies …….and us! (Never were ones for letting the Aussies get the better of us!). So that is how I found myself in a headlock under Chris’s arm whilst we tried to churn out a tuneful rendition of ‘Yellow Submarine’ by the Beatles (see picture)….although quite frankly we knew far more of the words to ‘Waltzing Matilda’ than our designated song! Surprisingly we got a resounding applause but I think that was more out of pity than praise!

karaok.jpg

After Karoake we were invited to have a free drink from the floating bar.

float.jpg

cheer.jpgcheer2.jpg

Whilst Chris was out of the water Max and I had a little side bet (2 cans of Tiger) that Chris would/would not dive of the front of the boat…..well I will never doubt his diving skills ever again as I lost the bet and Chris performed a perfectly executioned dive from the boat. Max upped the stakes to double or quits challenging everyone to dive off the top deck of the boat which Chris reckons was about 100ft but in reality was about four metres!

Max went first with a fantastic swallow dive from the top – did I mention he was 60!!!. Then it was me! Not having revealed that I spent the best part of my childhood in a swimming pool I went for the surprise somersault. Then it was Chris and Melinda. Now seeing that Melinda was a little tentative Chris decided to build her confidence by jumping in with her (bless him!) but no sooner was he in the water than he was out again and back on the top deck performing a second fantastic dive of the day!

Back on the boat we treated each other to a Tiger Beer as reward for our efforts before we were dropped off at a beach for a few hours. Chris and I chose to soak up the sun (someone had to lookafter the bags!) whilst Max and Melinda were off on a jet-ski
performing doughnuts (he’s 60 you know!). We had a wonderful day on the boat trip which was made all the more fun for meeting Max and Melinda.

Back on dry land it didn’t take either of us long to work out we were both dehydrated although Chris was far worse than me (he’s a ‘big unit’ you see!). Having drank lots of fluids (and by this I mean water!) we retired for the day only for Chris to be up every hour or so with bad stomach pains. Extremely glad that we stipulated a private bathroom Chris managed to leave his retreat the next day for a few hours. The real test of his intestinal resolve however would come later that night as we had booked the overnight bus to Hoi An, and for the record the overnight buses out here don’t have toilets!



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “Nha Trang: We just can’t keep away from the beach…..or the bathroom!”

  1. Stevie & Nic says:

    What amazing fun you have had and so many special memories!
    Don’t envy you deciding on which of the 6515+ photos you want to keep!
    We are both really looking forward to seeing you but don’t want to wish the time away for you two!Enjoy every minute,
    Stevie & Nic x

  2. Pete & Margie says:

    On 02/03/2006 Charlotte wrote (I’ve bin dying to write that!!): “I intend to go scuba diving on the Reef…you’ll be fully aware of Chris’ irrational fear of sharks, so it may well be this part…will be carried out alone”. Well done you both!! Look out for the suit sharks in Vietnam tho – they take yer money but never send the suits (ok – just joking!)
    Was alarmed to see you use the “W” word already! Who needs a Wardrobe anyway!! Enjoy…Pete & Margie

  3. admin says:

    Hello Steve and Nic!

    Never mind us sorting through the photos, I don’t envy you having to sit through the 1 week long slide show we will force you to endure when we get home!

    Looking forward to seeing you both v.soon,

    Take care,

    Chris and Charlotte

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *