BootsnAll Travel Network



Bolivia – La Paz and the Jungle

163647969_e9b7a8eedb_m.jpg167855573_296adebbd2.jpg

15.6.06

We arrived here in La Paz (Bolivias de facto capital city) 1 week ago (8/6), via the bus from Puno (Lake Titticaca) in Peru.  La Paz is similar in many ways to Lima, although aproximately 4,000m higher!  As such it has the highest everything in the world, football pitch, airport, etc….the only other thing we knew about La Paz before our arrival was that everyone we met who had travelled through here previously had a tale of theft, some more elaborate than others…..one favourite scam involves fake policemen!  As such we didn´t plan to stay here too long, instead just use it as a base to book the things we wanted to do in Bolivia.

The first thing on our list was to make a trip to the North of the country to the amazon basin and into the jungle.  We booked a flight from La Paz to Rurrenbaque, opting for this mode of transport in order to avoid the 20 hour bus journey that encompassed ´the worlds most dangerous road´ which claims over 100 lives a year when coaches fall off the edge of the mountain!

Unfortunatley, a school boy error on my behalf working out time differences meant that we had booked the flight for 9am on the 10th June – the exact local time the first England game kicked off!  After much sulking on my behalf, I was chuffed to bits when we went to check in and we found out that our flight was delayed for an hour…..this meant that we were able to catch the first half of the game in Burger King at La Paz airport!  We missed the 2nd half after being called through to the departure lounge, where unfortunately there were no tvs, even more unfortunately we were kept here for another 5 hours until we finally managed to take off.  At the time, the excuse of ´cloud in Rurrenbaque´didn´t exactly wash, although when we finally arrived at the airstrip (no more than a grassy clearing in the middle of the jungle – more like Appocalypse now than heathrow!) in our 20 seater aircraft, we began to understand that cloud would pose a big problem!

Rurrenbaque is a really cool place, a small town sat between the river beni and the jungle, unfortunately the locals seem to like Karaoke, which meant that we didn´t get much sleep on the first night we arrived.  The next morning we set out on our trip into the Pampas – the grasslands.  We opted for this rather than a trip into the deep jungle after beig told that the pampas offered mcuh more opportunities to spot wildlife, and much fewer opportunities to be eaten by Mosquitoes!

We travelled for 3 hours in a 4×4 along mud tracks out of Rurrenbaque, stopping only to replace the fan belt which the truck seemed to be missing causing us to constantly overheat.  The inevitable american in our group kept us all ámused´with his countless stories, strangley all ending with the moral about how amazing he was.  After a brief stop for lunch we transferred to a wooden canoe and set out on the 3 hour boat rip to our camp.

This was when the adventure really began, within minutes we were spotting Aligators and Camen all along the banks and in the the river (beni) itself.  We were both really surprised at how common the gators and camen were, the river was litterally infested with them!  The wildlife was absolutley amazing, over the course of our journey to camp we saw, in addition to the gators and camen, several types of monkey (although no Peter Reid) flamingos, eagles, pelicans, turtles, snakes, Capybara (basically gerbils the size of large dogs!), perhaps the most amazing were the glimpses we would occasionally get of the pink river dolphins!

We arrived at our camp at dusk, and settled down with a beer in the hamocks before climbing into our mosquito nets for a good nights kip.  The next morning we set out into the grasslands themselves, in order to look for Anaconda. Unfortunately, the weather was not favourable and the americans were too loud and as a result our guide was not able to find any anaconda in the swamp lands.

In the afternoon we returned to our boat for a spot of Pirahna fishing. We were given a handline each, a hook (which was worryingly big!) and a bag of raw meat chunks. To my amazement, within about 2 seconds of dropping the line into the murky water, the meat would be attacked by several Pirahna, to the extent that they were litterally jumping out of the water into our boat! I managed to hook 3, the first I threw back into the water, feeling sorry for it (our guide was keeping all his catch to fry up for dinner), the second one I caught managed to escape by biting me whilst I tried to release it (it drew blood and everything!) so I got my revenge by keeping the 3rd fish and eating it for dinner (not much meat on them mind!). Despite Charlottes claim that she could ´Pirahna fish all day´ she was the only one on our boat not to land one, despite coming close several times!

In the evening of the second day we took a canoe trip down the river.  It was really, really dark, however, when you scanned around with your torch you kept getting bright orange reflections from the eyes of the gators, a sppoky reminder that you weren´t alone in the dark!

The final day of our tour was spent travelling back to Rurrenbaque, althougth there was one more memorable moment to be had. We stopped at a bend in the river on the way back and our guide asked if we wanted to swim with the river dolphins. Given the number of gators, camen (some up to 5 meters long!) and snakes we had seen in the river, our initial reaction was that this must be a joke, but sure enough, our American buddy (who by this stage had actually won us over!) dived right in! After a couple of tense moments waiting to see if he would be eaten, a group of 4 to 5 dolphins appeared and began swimming right up to him and splashing him with their tails. Not wanting to miss out on the action, and re-assured by the fact he was not eaten alive, myself and antoher English lad (jack) donned our trunks and also got in. The water was dark brown with all the mud, so it was difficult to see the dolphins, although you could sense they were there, amazingly they would come up right next to you and take fgreat pleasure in splashing you with their tails, it was really cool, although one splash was enough for me before I quickly made my way back to the safety of our canoe!

We completed our trip back to Rurrenbaque via 4×4 and checked into our hostal for the night. We had a return flight booked for the following day although due to poor weather this was set back 24 hours and we stayed another night. Normally this would not have been a problem, although the delay meant that we flew back during the first half of the second England game! We arrived back at La Paz in time for the second half, which we enjoyed from the same Burger King we saw the first game from!

We have decided to move on tonight (15/6) having just booked an overnight bus to Uyuni in the south of Bolivia, here we are planning to go onto the salt flats for a few days, which again are supposed to be full of amazing scenery, this place has got absolutley everything! We have uploaded our pictures of our trip onto the flickr site – keep in mind when looking at the fish photos that the ones that got away were alot bigger!

 



Tags: , ,

4 responses to “Bolivia – La Paz and the Jungle”

  1. Nicola Street says:

    Hi you two,
    The photos are amazing yet again and you can really tell how much you are enjoying yourselves from what is written. Interesting to see Christopher in his natural habitat…I’m sure the monkeys were very curious!! I don’t know who removed your sensible gene and replaced it with Steve Irwin’s sense of danger…aligators, pirahnas,snakes…from a boy who wouldn’t get off his tricycle because there was a worm nearby! Sorry I missed you on the phone to mum the other night, don’t worry if you miss the football, its just like watching the Toon (i.e. somewhat dissapointing). Keep on having fun, miss you both loads!!
    Lots of love Nik and Steve XXXXX

  2. Ju says:

    Hello you two.
    Obviously, this is my first visit to your sight (I know that you’ve been gone 5 weeks, but you know how useless I am).
    Just a few words;
    Hilarious – that is all I have to say on the matter of you two dressed in traditional South American costume!
    Chris, I thought that Charl had left you behind and had found Bill Odie’s son better company. That beard is very FUNNY!
    Sorry to hear that your latest adveture is a bit cold, however to shed some warmth on the matter, we have all just been sitting in the garden drinking wine, and eating cheese and biscuits, followed by “Mum’s famous strawberry flan”! – Sorry, couldn’t resist.
    Seriously, sound like you’re having great fun. We’re all enjoying the updates.
    Maxwell keeps asking for Aunty Charlotte and Uncle Chris, so no worries that you’ll be forgotten!
    Obviously, this wasn’t just a few words, well I suppose that it was for me.
    Love to you both.
    Ju – xxx

  3. Karen says:

    For a guy who won’t paddle in the North Sea for fear of sharks I am amazed you swam in gator infested waters!!
    Jack and Marion were here recently and wondered if either of you had tried the local dish while in Peru, (Guinea Pig).
    The photo’s are great, not so sure about the beard.
    Looking forward to hearing about the salt flats, I am keeping Mum and Dad informed about your travels while they are away.
    Miss you both
    Take care
    Love
    Karen & Co

  4. admin says:

    Ju

    Glad you finally found the site! Knew you would love the traditional costumes…..will pick you up one of those skirts!

    Chris has finally taken the razor to the beard after spending a whopping 45 mins in the bathroom de-fuzzing…..he now looks really young!

    Have one thing to say to the starwberry flan jibe …and it cant be posted on here! Low …really low!

    Glad you are OK and Maxwell hasn´t forgotten us even if he did not want speak to me on Dad´s birthday.

    Take care

    C

  5. admin says:

    Nicola,

    It´s funny you ask about the monkey´s, I met a baboon that was asking about it´s long lost cousin Nicky Street!

    About the swimming with gators, it´s amazing what you will do to avoid being upstaged by an American whose been doing your box in for days, don´t worry, the sensible gene has been put back in place so there is no danger of getting in a bath tub in aus for fear of sharks!

    Looking forward to seeing you both in Aus!

  6. admin says:

    Karen,

    We stayed off the guinea pig (i guess it brought back too many memories of Cuthbert and co…) but did try the Alpaca, which are smaller versions of llama, nowt to write home about though!

    I have taken the hint and ditched the beard, although there is no way i would have grown it if i had realised the pain involved in removing it!

    Say hello to the boys for me, missing you all loads!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *