BootsnAll Travel Network



Uluruuu

Hello! I’m here at Uluru (Ayers Rock). It’s hot, dusty, and dry, but the amazing view of Uluru from the nearby sand dune more than makes up for it all. This afternoon I’m going on a tour to see Kata Juta (giant rock formations) and Uluru at sunset.

The other day, I picked up an Australian fashion magazine, Cleo, mostly for the random article on backpacking (who’d have thought a fashion magazine would have that?) Surprisingly, a lot of the items and statements they listed rang true in my mind. Here are some examples:

Hostels- there’s no quicker way to be the girl everyone resents than by performing a plastic bag sonata at 3 am. (yes, we all can hear you) (heavy snoring is also a friend-repellent)

If you haven’t paid five times more than everyone else for something, you’re not really traveling (especially in Southeast Asia!)

You might have to endure boring conversations with people who are trying to find a personality through having no fixed address (and in my experience, they usually happen to be older men that approach me at bus stations)

Comedy is tragedy plus time. (So true- I’m already laughing at the infamous Chinese train lost iPod ordeal. And the time Beibei had to bribe his way onto a train with a pack of cigarettes and a lot of money. Long story.)

Beware of fantasy packing. (I’ve met loads of “backpacking” girls who stuff their bags with dozens of impractical shirts and belts and scarves to look good in their facebook photos.)

Traveling with others keeps you in your comfort zone (Very true for me in China with my brother)

🙂

Tomorrow, I leave Australia. After 28 hours of flying, one 15 hour layover, and 3 planes, I’ll be in Cairo! I’m looking forward to Egypt very much, but at the same time I’m nervous! It’ll be drastically different from Australia (of course), and I’m incredibly excited.



Tags: ,

3 Responses to “Uluruuu”

  1. Greg Says:

    haha…yes, I’ve wanted to CHOKE a few late night plastic bag wielders in hostels over the past couple of years. 🙂

    Cairo is totally insane…crazier than Bangkok, try not to get yourself run over. 🙂 Its also not Egypt, i liked it better down the Nile and on Sinai.

    Have fun!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. NS Says:

    G’day mate

    So, as an “older man” who approached Anna at a bus station (see ‘Broome’), I:

    1) resent the idea that anyone has had a boring conversation with me; and

    2) was actually trying to find HER personality (thought she may’ve left it on the bus)

    KIDDING!

    Anyway I was more like a substitute older brother, I think you might’ve been referring to creepier encounters with “older men”. And you, the little sister I never had… (or as Ben put it, never wanted… but he too was kidding).

    Go Boabs!

  4. Posted from Australia Australia
  5. Anna Says:

    you and ben were the exceptions!! haha.

Leave a Reply