BootsnAll Travel Network



Traveling in Egypt

 IMG_6468[1] by you. 

The ultra-modern library at Alexandria

Hello! My last few days in Cairo were a jumble of seeing the sights, getting used to the culture, meeting people, and enjoying the delicious food. What I saw included the Giza pyramids, the step pyramid (said to be the oldest stone monument in the world), tombs engraved in ancient heiroglyphs, and Islamic Cairo’s winding alleys and mosques. 

As a young woman traveling alone, I’d say that Egypt is definitely the most challenging place I’ve been to so far. I wouldn’t call it dangerous- there’s a lack of violent crime, mostly due to the Muslim culture- but I would call it hassling. When you walk alone down the streets, you’re more susceptible to be approached by someone trying to get you in to their shop or offering various un-needed services than if you’re in a group. And, most notoriously of all, Egyptian men certainly see no problem with expressing their interest in foreign women- hearing whistling and clucking noises is common when walking alone, and while it’s easy to turn a blind eye, it definitely is annoying. Therefore it’s much easier and relaxing to go places with friends I’ve met in the hostel, especially guys, because then people will tend to leave you alone.

Now I’m north of Cairo in the ancient city of Alexandria with a British friend, John. Founded by the one and only Alexander the Great, there’s little that remains of the city that once was. Two of its most famous past sites, the Pharos light house (one of the wonders of the ancient world) and the great Alexandria library, have been destroyed by earthquakes and fires. However, there’s an impressive fort where the light house used to be, even using some of its old stones, and a new state-of-the-art library built to the highest degree of modern architecture (it’s well worth seeing just for the architecture). It also houses a machine that can print an entire book in 20 minutes (which happens to be sitting next to one of the world’s oldest printing presses.) Those sights combined with the Mediterranean sea, numerous coffeehouses, and general charm make the city worth visiting. Last night we found a fairground in the middle of the city with almost no one in it, and rode a rickety old ferris wheel from the 80’s. It was fun, albeit the scariest ride I’ve ever been on! 



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply