BootsnAll Travel Network



It’s raining, it’s pouring

The old man is snoring.

Yeah, the weather in Kunming is terrible today. Rain, thunder, lightning. Actually, it feels a lot like Seattle. 🙂 A major road is flooded, so we had to skip our bus ride to Dali today and go tomorrow instead. I can’t wait!

So what’s been going on with us? Well, in our last days in Xi’an we spent our extra time wandering around the city and exploring. We found the bird market, which is aptly named because every 3rd stall sells birds (from parakeets to chicks to pigeons!) It also had a lot of turtles, rabbits, and crickets.

And outside the city we visited the esteemed army of Terra Cotta warriors. Found by accident in the 70’s by people digging a well, it’s an amazing display of hundreds upon hundreds of life-size soldiers and horses bearing arms. Each man has an individual unique face, which is incredible. Were they based on real people at the time? The purpose of these soldiers was to protect the emperor in the afterlife. Man, was he demanding. And creative. We also went to the 5000 year Banpo man settlement. Well worth it!

When we got to Kunming, we were greeted by Beibei’s aunt and grandfather. They fed us lychees (LYCHEES! they are now my favorite fruit ever. they’re so delicious!) and brought us to dinner. His grandfather is friends with the owner of the restaurant (“boss”) and we were treated to the most amazing meal we’ve had in China, for free. There were 14 entrees, all decadent and delicious. Then “boss” brought us on a night tour of the city. It was an awesome night.

My next post will be from Dali! (hopefully)



Tags: ,

2 Responses to “It’s raining, it’s pouring”

  1. Dad Says:

    At first when I read it I thought you were eating leaches. But fruit sounds much better than strange water creatures.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Anna Says:

    mmm leaches 😛

  4. Posted from China China

Leave a Reply