BootsnAll Travel Network



Egypt, Thai-style

IMG_0311[1] by you.

The Red Sea! (You can see Saudi Arabia in the distance.)

Dahab is an incredibly relaxing place. There’s little to do besides diving, snorkeling, sitting on the beach and walking in town. It’s exactly the kind of place people go for a peaceful beach vacation (although it was a victim of terrorist attacks 2 1/2 years ago, you can’t even tell they ocurred.) It gives off a very Thai vibe and almost makes me feel like I’m back in Koh Tao. The restaurant attached to my hotel even serves banana pancakes for breakfast (a very common backpacker’s meal in Thailand.)

Yesterday I went diving. It wasn’t my best dive because my mask was extremely foggy and blurry the entire time, and I ended my dive with less than 10 bars of air left in my tank. At the very end I was alerting my dive master of this issue and close to freaking out because it was very difficult to breathe. He just pointed up and I realized we were in water shallow enough to stand in and I hadn’t even realized it. Problem solved.

Today I went snorkelling with my friend Alex (from Cairo) over an incredibly huge reef located just meters from the shore. I saw 5 lion fish!

While it’s nice to be back in a beach paradise for a few days, it feels a little like I’m repeating southern Thailand. I feel like doing something more original, adventurous, and culture-filled in my few remaining days in Egypt. So instead of being a beach-potato I’ve decided to bus over to the nearby St. Katherine Protectorate, where there’s a very old, famous monastary and Mt. Sinai, sacred to Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. I plan to hike to the top!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply