BootsnAll Travel Network



Ears of steel

I have realized that on this trip I have become a much better sleeper. At home, even the faintest sound of a tv in the next room would prevent me from falling asleep (my family members can attest to that.) On this trip, I’ve been through countless dorms that sound like all-night circuses, a hospital waiting room all-nighter, dozens of chronic snorers, mysterious late-night ringing phones, 15-hour bus rides, sleeper trains, and the perptually noisy streets of Egypt.

Last night, a bellydancing stage was erected outside on the street, and bellydancing music was blasted at top volume. I didn’t even bat an eye as I went to bed and fell asleep in minutes. This morning, I found that I slept through the 5 AM call to prayer that plays through a speaker right out side my hotel every morning. When I get home, I’ll no longer need noise machines or pillows over my head when things get noisy; it’ll feel normal.

Now on to food. I love Middle Eastern food, and Egypt is my second favorite place to eat after China (where Beibei would just order dozens of delectable mystery dishes for us.) I could live off of koshari (macaroni, chickpeas, and rice with tomato sauce), fatta (rice and bread soaked in garlic and vinegar), shawrmas (similar to gyros), kofta (meatballs), kebabs, and falafel. For desert, I love muhalabiya (milk/sugar/ground rice) and baklavas (drenched in syrup), and my favorite drink here is hibiscus juice.



Tags: ,

3 Responses to “Ears of steel”

  1. NS Says:

    Wow, you’re becoming quite the Egyptian with all those food names. Impressive! Although you’ll have to stop sleeping through the calls to prayer if you wanna be legit…

    Australia is abuzz with ‘Melbourne Cup fever’ – and no, it’s not a deadly virus you were lucky to escape. It’s the annual horse-race on the first Tuesday in November – “the race that stops a nation”. This year the horse that won only did so by a nose-whisker – almost literally.

    Of course, there’s a different race on the first Tuesday of November for you guys… GET OUT THE VOTE!

  2. Posted from Australia Australia
  3. Preethi Says:

    Wow…bellydancing in Egypt…
    so where to next?

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Anna Says:

    after Egypt comes Morocco! that’s on the 12th.

Leave a Reply