BootsnAll Travel Network



From Student to Unemployed

It’s amazing to me how fast the transformation took place. One minute I was a successful student with a great job and a steady paycheck coming in the mail every week, and the next thing I know I’ve graduated, left my job, and I’m sitting on the couch in my parents’ house watching Entertainment Tonight . I went from student to unemployed in the 15 seconds that it took me to walk across the stage and shake hands with UCF’s president. But at least I went out in a blaze of glory! Okay, it was more of a 12 volt glow of glory, but who cares.

For those of you who haven’t heard me describe in detail my grand plans for my graduation cap, I’ll indulge you now. After sitting through my brother’s graduation with my family and trying to pick him out of a crowd of identically black robed people, I decided that for my own commencement I’d make it easier for my family to identify me. So, after several trips to Radio Shack and a few self-taught electricity lessons that I found on the Internet, I successfully wired a string of Christmas lights to the top of my cap that ran on a pack of 8 AA batteries that I could carry in my purse under my robe. I generally have lots of these kind of ideas, but although they sound good in theory, they never seem to make the jump from my imagination into reality. So you can imagine how very excited I was that I actually spent the time to make it happen, and that, after all that hard work, it actually worked. I was a shining beacon in the sea of black that day. It was awesome! I had my 15 seconds of fame and my family knew exactly where I was the whole time–even my grandma who was watching the webcast on her computer in Montgomery. Besides the battery pack heating up to about a bajillion degrees and making me fear that my purse would combust at any moment, it was fantastic! Now that I’m unemployed, I might should look into becoming an electrician. I have about as good of a chance at getting a job in that field as I do with my degrees in Liberal Studies and Creative Writing, so it couldn’t hurt.

 

bling bling
 



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *