BootsnAll Travel Network



Barcelona Stinks

Sometimes I feel like I´m in Barcelona…oh wait! I am!

When I say Barcelona stinks, that is not to say that it isn´t a fun city. It just reeks, that´s all. When we were walking from our apartment to the Internet cafe we had to dodge several suspicious looking puddles whose origins began on the sides of the buildings. I had no idea just how touristy Barcelona would be until we got here yesterday evening. We hadn´t booked a hostel yet because we were going to wait till we got here to walk into a place we had found online, but when we arrived we spent about 45 minutes on a payphone trying to call places up. Everything was fully booked. The reception desk attendants practically laughed at us each time we asked if there were beds for 5 people. Apparently there is some massive music festival taking place and all of Europe booked their rooms months in advance–except for us. But it all worked out beautifully and we ended up getting apartments for our two nights here. Last night we stayed in a really nice place, and we just left our stuff in our new place. It´s three bedrooms, has a huge lounge area and a kitchen with a washing machine! We are in heaven…we´re about to go to the market to get some food to cook tonight since we have a stove.

Yesterday we spent a bit more time walking around Valencia before we caught our train in the afternoon. We were standing around in a plaza when Kelly and I decided to have Kerry take a picture of us near the cathedral. Just as soon as we were in position and posed, a pigeon with a mission let fall the biggest load of pigeon poop I´ve ever seen–and it landed directly on my head. I screamed really loud without meaning to and everyone in the plaza turned to look at me. It was bad enough being pooped on by a bird, but having everyone stare at me with bird poop on my head was a bit embarrassing. We all got a good laugh out of it though.

The train ride from Valencia to Barcelona was gorgeous. For most of it we were riding along the Mediterranean coast and the view was incredible. It is so beautiful to see the cliffs drop off right into the sea. I´d never seen anything like it before. I had also never seen a nude beach before, but I can now say that I´ve seen several. No tan lines, right?

Tonight the plans are to meet up with some of Jenny´s friends who are vacationing here too. Then tomorrow we´re going to visit some more sights here in Barcelona before we have to make our way to the airport to fly to Brussels tomorrow evening. I have really liked Spain, but I´ll be glad to go somewhere a bit cooler. I´m loving the sun, but the whole no air conditioning thing is getting a bit old. Plus, I´m looking forward to some waffles! Yum….

 

bird crap in my hair
 



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *