BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 30: 15th Mar – Lahore

Tourism day.  1st port of call: Lahore Fort and Mosque.  Peter, our guide for the sites, was a friendly character crammed with facts.  He was interesting, but the land stole the show. Both the Fort and the Mosque were built on an area covering over 40 acres, designed by the very clever Mongols people a few centuries ago.  Very impressive in both size and architectural achievements, especially the way in which they amplify sound, but I won’t give anything away.  We also visit a local museum, but nothing to declare (or at least worthy of declaring).  Some felt that the culture was an overload of the senses, so we head over to Subway for lunch.

After lunch, Amjad takes us to see the border ceremony; the taking down of the flags at the Indian/Pakistani border post.  Amjad uses his connections to organise seats by the border, right up close and personal with the parading soldiers.  It’s a loud, colourful, eccentric display of militant pride and strict tradition, all with a background lit by the setting sun.  A great experience all round, summing up Pakistan for many of us.

We were left to our own devices for dinner that night and many opt for Domino’s across the street.  I decide to have a beer with some of the guys and order room service.  As boring as it sounds, it was a welcome break from the constant moving and seeking for a restaurant.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *