BootsnAll Travel Network



Days 31-33: Still Working on Those Sea Legs…

“Kel – Do you realize we’re getting on a boat here?”
“It’s too late for a patch or dramamine – oh well, how bad can a 25 minute boat ride be?”
Shortly after these words were spoken Kelly made for a break for the back of the boat, vomit bag in hand.

She was not the only one. Thankfully before it was too late, the engines cut and we pulled into port at Magnetic Island. [Of course, given her grandparents good advice she still has the vomit sack, just in case.]

We finally got some good weather in Queensland (we knew it would have to live up to it’s state motto of “the sunshine state” one of these days). The winds haven’t died down so still no snorkelling, but excellent swimming within the jellyfish enclosure. We spent a day walking to all the bays on the north east part of the island, it was perfumed with fragipani (?) which smells a lot like star jasmine.

Balding bay – which turned out to be a nudist beach. Hello!
balding.jpg

Marcus spent a bit of his time photographing creepy-crawlies (see next entry for others). Here’s an action shot of a butterfly landing.
butterfly.jpg

It’s hard to get bugs to sit still long enough to macro, but we did manage to find an animal that does sit still for pictures.
koala.jpg

Appearantly koalas sleep for up to 20 hours a day, because their eucalyptus diet is so nutritionally poor. We found one cutie that was sleeping so low that you could have touched him. He didn’t even seem to care that Marcus was climbing his tree.

We spent some time enjoying the bays and beaches. We watched a rainstorm bypass our island and smash into the mainland.

On a totally random note, NZ television and Aussie television have one major thing in common – they both show the Simpsons almost non-stop. We’re talking 4 times a night here. And this seems to be what the backpacker crowd wants to watch. We did manage to see one Kiwi show, while here in Oz it’s been soccer and rugby central.



Tags:

One Response to “Days 31-33: Still Working on Those Sea Legs…”

  1. Kel's Bro-Michael Says:

    Something tells me stumbling on the nudist beach wasn’t an accident. We all know you went to Cal when that nude guy was there…

  2. Posted from United States United States