BootsnAll Travel Network



Days 11-13: Glow-worm Pancakes

After dark we visited a glow worm dell in Hokitika and watched them try to lure tasty morsels into their webs with their luminescent fecal matter. Unfortunately, it’s a site that can only be witnessed in person (photo’s didn’t do it justice). Yeah, we’re posting a lot today because it’s pouring in Nelson and we’ve already seen the bizarre bra collection…

…at the World Of Wearable Art (WOW) gallery. No pictures of the goods allowed. A small museum, but it did inspire us both to want to create art from bits of cork and AOL cds. And, imagine this, we’d even watch the fashion show if it’s on in the states.

We’ve been keen to try the local flavors, but decided to give these crisps a miss.
lambmint.jpg

Most of the roads in NZ are phenomenal for cycling. But this one might give Lance some second thoughts.
lance.jpg

Syurp anyone? These are limestone pancake rocks.
pancakes.jpg

Most of the towns we’ve been in (except Christchurch) had one main-street, one store, and take about 5 minutes to walk. Most of the highways are two lanes, hilly, mostly empty, and not a cop in sight. We keep hearing about “the crowds” but we think the NZ version of a crowd differs from a California crowd.

Even though we’re in the biggest town we’ve been in in a while (52,000 people), not much is open. Even the grocery stores are closed because it’s Good Friday. Thank goodness this internet cafe is open. It’s a good day to try to get rid of the funk that settled in our shoes.



Tags:

5 Responses to “Days 11-13: Glow-worm Pancakes”

  1. ZCooke/Mom Says:

    Lamb & Mint Chips?

    I’d miss that one too…

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Lou Madsen Says:

    Just heard from Pete Mao that you guys are cruisin around NZ. I’m Pete’s wrenching buddy from Caltech. I’ll be living in Wellington until 4/29 if you want a place to crash in the (awesome) city. Been here for 4 mo and lovin it!

    Lou

  4. Posted from New Zealand New Zealand
  5. Mom Says:

    Sounds like you guys are doing well – got back to the states tonight, very long day! Love the pictures!

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Mom Says:

    Sounds like you guys are doing well – got back to the states tonight, very long day! Love the pictures!

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Marcus Says:

    Bummer Lou! We’re passing through Wellington at the moment but are going straight to Taupo. It’s a remarkably hip town and I can see why you’d like it.

  10. Posted from New Zealand New Zealand