BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 8: Hopefully mom will miss this one

Marcus has been keen to go paragliding for a long time. Skydiving never really appealed, but with the parachute already open, what could go wrong?

So we drove up a mountain to a 1250m launch site, got strapped to the groin of a pilot with a big piece of fabric, and ran off the mountain. It was awesome! Incredibly smooth flying even with a light rain coming down. The control of the chute was so precise that we could buzz some sheep grazing on the mountain side and got close enough to smell them. Well, I don’t know how bad sheep smell normally, but it was pretty close.

We flew in front of some waterfalls, and was able to snap a couple pics:

IMG_0698.jpg
Nice!

IMG_0702.jpg
Kel flying in the distance.

IMG_0704.jpg
As easy as stepping off an escalator….

We suspect we’ll be doing this again. It’s a bit addicting.

IMG_0729.jpg

We weren’t sure what to make of this.



Tags:

8 Responses to “Day 8: Hopefully mom will miss this one”

  1. Bryan Allen Says:

    Welcome to the fraternity of the winged!

    When are your first solo flights? 🙂

    And kayaking in Milford Sound, too! Careful, don’t do ALL the fun stuff in the first month out.

    Cheers!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. sarah Says:

    I’ve always wanted to go paragliding, but haven’t yet. But I have been skydiving. I went with Eric (my boyfriend at the time, now my husband) on Mother’s Day many years ago, and I didn’t tell my Mom in advance. Eric did mention it to his mother. Our mothers had never met, but Eric’s mom decided it would be a good idea to email my mom on that day, starting off with “I thought it would be good to introduce myself, since our kids are currently skydiving together.” Needless to say, I got a grumpy phone call from my mom that evening!

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. mom Says:

    Sorry guys – I did see this! I am glad that you mentioned it after the fact! We are in York, drying out from the first rain that we have had…I am so glad to be seeing pictures of you and I can tell you have having a great time – so are we….

    Much love, Mom xoxox

  6. ZCooke/Mom Says:

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    Glad you having a good (?) time!

  7. Posted from United States United States
  8. JTR Says:

    Is it just me or does Marcus look like he’s ready to board “the short bus” in that first shot?

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. bill Says:

    nice legs marcus. you bastard.

  11. Posted from United States United States
  12. Barb D. Says:

    Of course mom saw this…you didn’t think she’d pass an internet cafe without stopping. She is having internet and cell phone withdrawls by now. I have been directed to print everything, every day. It looks like you are truly living your dream. Congrats!

  13. Posted from United States United States
  14. Marcus Says:

    I’ve been riding the short bus for years bro!

    Can’t claim to be in triathlon shape, so no leg shaving in the near future.

  15. Posted from New Zealand New Zealand